No announcement yet.

Changing the Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and.. probably the final question of the quiz.. will i have to adjust pivots?

Comment

Only if you ever decide to adjust the action.
      Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
      Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

"You will most likely need to adjust the truss rod. Once its tuned up, hold the 6th string down on the 1st and 17th fret. Sight the gap between the bottom of the string and the top of the 11th fret. If there is no gap, loosen the truss rod. If there is a big gap, tighten the truss rod."

What does it mean "big gap" or "small gap" ?

Comment

If your guitar plays nice, and feels right for you, note the gap. That will be you small gap. If the strings are high off the frets and it's a pain in the arse to play, that will be your big gap.

Once you figure out what's right for you, use that as a reference point.
          Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
          Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

It will not hurt to add an extra spring(at the rear cavity for the vibrato) to add more counter tension to the string's...

Check youtube as there are a ton of great floyd tutorials on there which in some cases is easier to watch/ watch again than reading descriptions...

I currently have one Floyded guitar wwith 12-52's in D, which is probably a little high gauge wise, and why I have 5 springs in the back...

If you get stuck someone here will be around to help, rember that if you tighten the springs the guitar will go a bit sharp, I find it's good to tune alittle bit tighten the springs a little bit so you dont adjust it a lot and need to tune down...

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              I tune my RR1T to D or Drop C, and I use the GHS Boomers Low Tunes set... 11, 15, 19, 33, 43, 53. They've actually got larger cores to help control vibration. Though, if I were using regular strings, I'd probably use 12s or 13s.
              I Do almost the exact same.

I play drop C (I hate drop tuning, but my band plays that way...), I use the Elixir medium set 11-49 and replace the 49 with a 52.

Soome idiot pre-striped the thread in my Schaller before I bought the guitar so the intonation on my high D is wrong. Is there any way to helicoil those blocks?

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
                I Do almost the exact same.

I play drop C (I hate drop tuning, but my band plays that way...), I use the Elixir medium set 11-49 and replace the 49 with a 52.

Soome idiot pre-striped the thread in my Schaller before I bought the guitar so the intonation on my high D is wrong. Is there any way to helicoil those blocks?
                I think you can helicoil those. I recall reading of someone doing it, maybe on this forum. Though, I think newer Schallers have threaded inserts so they don't strip out like they've been known to.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

hehe, i finally changed my strings. It seems everything is working perfectly, just not sure whether i adjusted truss rod well. it seems like it's fine. I was kinda afraid to adjust it more :] i didn't need to adjust intonation too much. :] thank you for help guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X