• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You might also try a combination of:

-Shims
    -Raising the bridge
    -Raising the saddles

With projects (where parts werent' built to go together) or cheap imports, it is usually a combination of those 3 elements. Add a shim, play it, raise or lower the bridge, play it, raise or lower the saddles, play it, just keep monkeying with it until you get closer and closer. It doesn't take a really long time, just some patience. Personally, I'd rather get it there with truss/bridge height/saddles and avoid shims if possible -- but if you have to go in that direction, go for it. I just like a super tight neck pocket but shims don't ruin the world.

Remember to keep testing the relief during each adjustment (fretting the first fret and 14th fret) just Google "truss rod adjustment" for thorough instructions on how to continually check the neck to see which direction it needs to go in --- see what the guitar is doing through these adjustments.

If you are up for it, do this off and on for a few weeks. By the end, you'll likely end up with one of your best playing guitars (action-wise). Back around 1984, I had a cheap Hondo Strat that I put through all of the above for about 6 months. Some guy who owned a Fender Strat picked it up to plunk on it, and his first comment was that mine played much better. 5 Stars!

Also, remember with projects -- if you take a guitar neck that hasn't been used for a while -- and string it up to playing tension -- it might need a little while to "settle in" to where it wants to be. That's why it might be a few days or weeks to get it to primo playability.

But I think it's worth it and a lot of fun.
    Last edited by Tito Jackson; 03-03-2009, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftyzrule580 View Post
      Hey man, thanks a ton! What should I shim the neck with?
      got a business card? cut a 1/4 inch strip, and start out with that. you can also use sandpaper.

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by Tito Jackson View Post
        I'd rather get it there with truss/bridge height/saddles and avoid shims if possible -- but if you have to go in that direction, go for it. I just like a super tight neck pocket but shims don't ruin the world.
        Judging from his picture that he posted, there's no truss rod adjustment that's going to straighten that out. Any saddle or bridge adjustment is still going to be over that bad neck angle.

sully
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks sully, worked like a charm!
          As far as I'm concerned he can stay with Dean and play his dots+fins KV copies, and whatever that aborted fetus he "designed". More like "I saw it in my puke". -Newc

Tung Oil is for guitar necks. Tongue Oil is a by-product of cunninglus. -Metalchurch79

Comment

kickass! happy to be of service.
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
            X