No announcement yet.

Buzz only when fretting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't overlook how vital the neck relief is on action setting. A dead straight neck is NOT good, as setting the action for minimum buzz at the lower reaches leaves the upper frets stiff to play. Similarly having too much concave relief causes fretbuzz on the top frets despite the action being high lower down. In my book, the only player who would benefit from a dead straight neck is one who rarely plays in the first few positions, or plays rhythm lightly but really digs in when playing single strings high up. A legato player using a lot of hammer on/pull offs needs a slight curve in the neck to ensure consistent action (and by this I mean a similar gap between string and next fret in every fretted position, allowing for the fact that the string's vibration is less the higher you fret, but then the next fret is also closer). This is very difficult to illustrate or describe without a guitar or a sketch pad!!!

The perfect setting depends on the gauge of strings, how you play and hence the degree of fret buzz you will cause with your playing and how much your ear will tolerate.

If you are getting buzz at the top of the neck, but the action is OK down low, your neck probably needs straightened a little by tightening the trussrod - go easy! If it's already dead straight, a light fret dress up top should do it.
    Last edited by Tommie; 02-22-2009, 12:52 PM.

Comment

yip, good setup tip NEWC, Im gonna copy and paste that for reference!

Comment

I forgot about heavy picking. Duh.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

speaking of fret buzz, I just picked up a used Kramer striker 2000 model. The floyed was on a tilt prob because the guy had heavy gauge strings on at one time. So I restrung it and adjusted the floyed back to level and know there is fret buzz on the 2nd and 3rd fret. the notes are not sounding as good and clear, mostly the 5 string and little on the 6 string. It will buzz some for the first 5 or so frets then when I play down the neck it sounds fine. Could be the neck off some? The action seems pretty low on the top of the neck and the 12 fret so on its a little higher. I adjusted the bridge. So its prob a high fret or the neck needs to be adjusted. Wht you guys think? have 10's on there now.
          EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
          1959Epiphone les paul
          george L cables
          mxr pedals
          Engl fireball 100

Comment

Working...
          X