You guys like scalloped necks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sup?

I love scalloped necks,, Matter of fact i have a fully scalloped custom 7 string V coming my way.
    +1 that job looks a little rough, but looks like it it can be cleaned up nice if the frets are not hacked. $60, is a good price to see if you like it, and the comments are correct that your left hand technique will change as it definitely requires a lighter touch. I'd say get it and play

MOSHON
    DAVE
    "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

+1 for scalloped necks.

Comment

+2 for scalloped necks. They are definately faster to me. Much less drag on the fingers. In the first 3 frets you need to get used to the scallop. The string tension is less there, so when chording use a lighter pressure on the fingers. All it takes is 5-10 minutes of playing and your ripping.

One note from my experience on 7.25" radius necks like the Malmsteen, I have a tendancy to pull off the high E string below the 12th fret. That;s just me because I tend to pull down on the smaller strings. The bigger the radius the better for me. My Malmsteen has the 7.25" and my Warmoth has the 10-16" radius. Piece of cake to play.

Now I need a Blackmore
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Is the Malmsteen a compound radius neck? Or is it 7.25" all the way up? Damn that would be a show-stopper for me. I like to bend notes. Yngwie used to make all these anti-note bending comments back in the 80's, but now he's got this retro-blues thing going and he's bending notes all over the place. Honestly I don't see how you can play 21 fret necks and be "anti-bending".

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
            Is the Malmsteen a compound radius neck? Or is it 7.25" all the way up? Damn that would be a show-stopper for me. I like to bend notes. Yngwie used to make all these anti-note bending comments back in the 80's, but now he's got this retro-blues thing going and he's bending notes all over the place. Honestly I don't see how you can play 21 fret necks and be "anti-bending".
            The Malmsteen is not compound. It's vintage 7.25" all the way. It can get a bit tricky up on the higher notes if your not careful. I use to pull the high E off all the time.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I like to have either 12-22 or 15-22 scalloped because I like the feel.
              Last week I scalloped a 22 fret Kramer neck (1-22) for my '83 Kramer V.

The reason I did the whole board is because it has medium frets and they were messing with me, and I'm thinking the scallops will trick me into thinking they are bigger.
              Plus they look so cool!
              I did mine free hand with my Dremel and a sanding drum attatchment.
              Looks as good as factory.
              Wish I could post a pic, but my USB port isnt working right. It was a rosewood board.

That neck looks like it could be cleaned up a little, but I dont think it can ever be perfect, but it has potential.
              Jake if you want me to fix that for you, I'll do it for free. PM me and let me know.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven
              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                Check out the Blackmore style scallops - they're progressive up the neck - shallower lower on the neck and on the bass strings. Very cool. I like more than Yngwie style.
                aren't the Blackmore scallops progressive within each fret space? I thought they were less dug out near the back of each fret space and deeper to the front at the fretting point. not shaped like a U, but asymmetrical.
                the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
                  aren't the Blackmore scallops progressive within each fret space? I thought they were less dug out near the back of each fret space and deeper to the front at the fretting point. not shaped like a U, but asymmetrical.
                  You are correct, Sir.

Just as a clarifier the Malmsteen scallops are equal "dish out's". Same with Warmoth. Ken Warmoth came up with a CNC program to do Warmoth "Pro" necks.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
                    I like to have either 12-22 or 15-22 scalloped because I like the feel.
                    Last week I scalloped a 22 fret Kramer neck (1-22) for my '83 Kramer V.

The reason I did the whole board is because it has medium frets and they were messing with me, and I'm thinking the scallops will trick me into thinking they are bigger.
                    Plus they look so cool!
                    I did mine free hand with my Dremel and a sanding drum attatchment.
                    Looks as good as factory.
                    Wish I could post a pic, but my USB port isnt working right. It was a rosewood board.

That neck looks like it could be cleaned up a little, but I dont think it can ever be perfect, but it has potential.
                    Jake if you want me to fix that for you, I'll do it for free. PM me and let me know.
                    hey man, thanks, but I didnt end up buying the neck. I found an extremely cool walnut/ebony neck at a pawn shop for around 130 bucks, that included the body
                    "Yet, every little piss ant wanna' be death metal wiener will just carbon copy the next phase.." Kam Lee/Massacre

LEFTY METAL HEAD!

Comment

Working...
                    X