No announcement yet.

DIY Tube Amp Kits? Anyone bought one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+1 on the pics. From researching I've done, Metro seems like a pretty good place.

Cyg, I still didn't find anything on the issues with Angela. Like I said, I've orders lots from them in the past (it might be 1999) and never had a problem. I bought a Blues Jr from them for $230 once. Still have it.

I found Weber's kits being bashed because of cheap components.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      +1 on the pics. From researching I've done, Metro seems like a pretty good place.

Cyg, I still didn't find anything on the issues with Angela. Like I said, I've orders lots from them in the past (it might be 1999) and never had a problem. I bought a Blues Jr from them for $230 once. Still have it.

I found Weber's kits being bashed because of cheap components.
      I saw that about the Weber kits.
      Also saw they are putting better pots in them now.
      I haven't bought a kit yet.
      Too many parts on hand to use to justify it.

Comment

Here's a link to pics of the guts of it on the Metro forum: http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24450

As you can see from the thread I started over there, I was having hum issues emanating from the Little Lite on my workstation. It was driving me nuts, but I figured it out.
        I'm a touring guitar tech and have been studying up on tube amps for a long time, reading books by Tom Mitchell, Dave Hunter, Thunderfunk, Gerald Weber, Dan Torres, et all and I knew basic troubleshooting, but this project has pushed me to the next level .
        I'm already planning my next build. And as far as sound goes, this thing is amazing. The EVH sound is there if you want it or Jimmy Page, Thin Lizzy, Aerosmith, UFO.... I've got a Triple Rectifier which has slowly begun to irritate me tonally and this thing is the polar opposite: clean distortion with just the right amount of break-up and headroom. The drawback is it is loud as hell so I may install a Master Volume.

Comment

Nice work!
          Are those carbon film resistors that you used?

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
            Nice work!
            Are those carbon film resistors that you used?
            Thanks. I updated that link with a pic of the finished product:

http://forum.metroamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24450

Yup, those are carbon film resistors.

Comment

Working...
            X