Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the best way to strip a guitar ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trem View Post
    first, turn the lights down low, ...then put on some barry white, then light some candl.....erm, oh nvm.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by Jayster View Post
      what is the best way to strip a guitar ?
      Is there some type of solvent to eat through the clearcoat or is sanding it the best way? I've gotten a project guitar for my first re-fin, I'll need to strip it down to the alder for staining - pics will follow(eventually)!!!

Any helpfull advice to save me time, effort or money would be appreciated!

PS - a big shout out to BeholdTheFallen !!!
      What color will you be staining it. Chances are that in order to pop the figure, that the stain is directly on the veneer. You will have to be selective about the color you choose. It will be very difficult to get the staining out of the veneer with out damaging it or going through.
      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
        What color will you be staining it. Chances are that in order to pop the figure, that the stain is directly on the veneer. You will have to be selective about the color you choose. It will be very difficult to get the staining out of the veneer with out damaging it or going through.
        Yeah +1!

Also, after you apply the stripper put the guitar in a plastic bag and let it sit for an hour. It keeps the solvent from "flashing" off and lets it work longer. Just like everyone has said it may take many applications to get the poly off.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
          What color will you be staining it. Chances are that in order to pop the figure, that the stain is directly on the veneer. You will have to be selective about the color you choose.
          I had wanted to go with a forest green type of stain, but if the red is residual - it'll probably look pretty bad. :think:
          Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

I you get it down to the veneer safely, you could take some dark green or black and use that to saturate the deep grain. It will bury the dark red. Then sand that back and then apply your green stain. It will be more important that you get the red off the immediate surface the the deep end grains. If not successful, It will come out brown or kind of Khaki. Really just not a true Emerald green like you have been use to seeing on Jacksons.
            Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
            http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

cool thanks Mike, depending on how well I'm able to prep the body - I may just end up spraying it (I know a shit pot of wasted work, for that to end up happening)

Comment

hehehehehe - I just picked up a set of SH-6n & b(distortion mayhem set(anyone tried these?), and a set of chrome pick up rings.

My patience is starting to wear thinner then the impermeable clear coat on this RR3. :ROTF:
                I may just end up spraying it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                  First, turn the lights down low, ...then put on some Barry White, then light some candl.....erm, oh nvm.

beat me to it ..

I was going to say start with the coat. then the jumper, then after a couple of drinks go for shoes, then jumper, go with the flow about the rest .. and leave the bra till last

Comment

Working...
                  X