Best boss pedal for clean boost??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
    Do you want to boost just volume for solos? Or are ya looking for a drive boost into the preamp? If you just want a volume boost throw a volume pedal or an eq in the loop of the amp. If ya want a drive boost try the OD3.
    Gil
    ??? I don't get it, doesn't a volume pedal just let you adjust the volume or does it also give you more output volume for the solo?
    '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
    '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
    custom made Les Paul
    VOX Tonelab LE
    Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
    ADA MP1
    BBE 422A
    Lexicon MPX-G2
    ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
    Support Your Local 81

Comment

Originally posted by El Chiguete View Post
      ??? I don't get it, doesn't a volume pedal just let you adjust the volume or does it also give you more output volume for the solo?
      A volume pedal will not give you more output volume. You set your amp at the level you want to achieve for the solo or volume boost (Say 11...). Then set a lower volume on the pedal for rhythm or whatever lower volume part you play. When the solo comes, stomp the pedal for an instant db boost.

If the natural amp sound is what you want, I would go the volume pedal route unless you have your amp maxed out already. The distortion or overdrive pedals will most likely color your amps natural sound.
      Last edited by BayRocker; 03-09-2009, 01:29 AM.
      My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

More newbe questions:

You said "set a lower volume for rhythm" can you set a volume as a stardard on a volume pedal or do you roll back on the sound from 0-full? because if you just roll back on the volume I wouldn't like it since I have to listen real carefully on getting the correct volume for the rhythm and not be too low or to high... thats I wouldn't like. I would just preferd to have instant back and forth rhythm volume and solo volume.
        custom made Les Paul
        VOX Tonelab LE
        ADA MP1
        BBE 422A
        Lexicon MPX-G2
        ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
        Support Your Local 81

Comment

Not sure about all volume pedals, but the one I have has a volume knob that sets cut back volume at anything between 0 and 100%. So just rolling the volume down a couple of %, the pedal will only slightly change the volume. This will achieve the volume boost the OP was looking for, without having to be accurate or listen for volumes. All the way back would be standard volume, all the way depressed would be the boosted volume.

Comment

You can modify a volume pedal with an extra, external knob where you set the minimum output - roll the pedal all the way back and set the external knob to your "rhythm" volume. Press the pedal forward and you have your ideal solo boost. Reverse the pedal completely without having to worry about finding your "perfect spot".

As for the Boss pedal, I had great success putting a SuperOverdrive in front of an MXR Distortion+. It's been years, but IIRC, I had the Gain on the SD almost off and the Output just about maxed.

With the MXR off I had a very loud non-distorted signal (which quickly became distorted when I blew the speaker in my Gorilla 20-watter )
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Then what volume pedals do you recomend? does the Morley Little Aligator, the Volume Plus, or another one?
              custom made Les Paul
              VOX Tonelab LE
              ADA MP1
              BBE 422A
              Lexicon MPX-G2
              ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
              Support Your Local 81

Comment

I really can't recommend one as the Boss one I use is from the 80's. It's still alive and kickin' so I haven't looked into replacing it. Perhaps someone else can give you a recommendation?

Comment

Ernie Ball High Gain Volume Pedal. I use one, and it's great for driving longer guitar cables (usually over 15 feet - I have a 50 footer I used live and get as good a signal as when I use a 10 footer for studio tracking).

However, since it's boosting the signal, you can't get truly dead-quiet with it unless you also back off the guitar's knob.

Plus, if you do the external knob mod, you might want a second volume pedal as a Master Volume.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X