No announcement yet.

Question about Oiled neck upkeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BTW, I got some Birchwood Casey Tru oil today. I will give that a go on the DK1 and the SL2H I have with oiled necks.

I really appreciate all the help and advice folks!!!
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

the first coat of oil went down great. looks and feels nice. probably put 2 more coats on.

Comment

Dont worry, I wont feel it too much.

Comment

Tongue oil?

Okay, this is a no-shit true story, so if you don't belive me, fetch it on back, bitch!

Anyway, back when I worked road EMS (I am not an ambulance driver, so fuck you. I'm a Paramedic, AKA "Cot Jockey" ), so anyway, I was workin' with this old dude named Dave, but I nicknamed him papaw, and it has stuck ever since. So me and Papaw are workin' and we go on a call for a female in distress... SHe meets us at the curb and he's up for patient care, so he says give him a minute and he'll be ready to go to the hospital (okay, I'm driving, but I'm STILL NOT an ambulance driver, got it? That offends THE FUCK out of us!).

So anyway, Dave has this lady lay down on the stretcher and gets a quick BP while making small talk and yells up that he's ready to go. I take off and I'm listening in on the conversation. See, Dave gets his papaw nickname because his hearing aids make SETI look like a transistor radio outfit... So he's telling this lady she has to speak up a little so he can hear, and proceeds to ask her what's wrong today and she kinda mumbles something... What? Dave says, unable to hear above the road nois in the rig... She says it louder this time, "I still can't hear you!" Next thing this lady thunders out "I HAVE VAGINAL DRYNESS!!!!"

I almost drove into the bus ahead of us and had to pull over claiming a leg cramp so I could get out and regain my composure...

Now you're probably thinking "But Joel, who the fuck in their right mind would call an ambulance for vaginal dryness?" and you're right! Points for paying attention! Anyway, the time comes for Dave to call the hospital on the radio to give a patient report to the ER. Just as I am wondering WTF he is going to say to make this one less stupid sounding to scanner land, he tells the ER "We are enroute with a 45 year-old female complaining of batman drivin'...." I was like WHAT THE FUCK?!! He still didn't understand her, god bless his old ass, but that made it even better. I had to fake another leg cramp so I could make it to the hospital without sharting myself from laughing so hard.

To this day we still use "batman drivin'" for a complaint that makes absolutely no sense and has no business being transported by EMS... That is the end.

Last edited by Joelski; 01-13-2009, 06:21 PM.
          There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

HOLY SHIT IS THAT FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Coat #2 went on tonight. they are lookin good.

Comment

great story Joel!
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

Coat # 3 went on last night. they are really nice now.

I think 3 coats are sufficient. anyone think it needs more?

keep in mind, the older guitars had tung on them, so I stuck with that. they were all in good shape, lightly used, well cared for. I just figured it was time for a refinish as they havent been done in about 10 years.

the two newer ones got gun stock oil. one was a 2005 model, and one a 1997. all of the gutiars are well cared for, and not over used, so they were all good to start with.

so I am thinking 3 coats are good.
                  Last edited by tonemonster; 01-15-2009, 09:47 AM.

Comment

not only is that hilarious, but "I am not an ambulance driver, so fuck you" cracked me the fuck up.

what was this thread about? oh yeah, oil.

tone, i don't think that tung oil was ever the oil of choice at jackson. that said, enjoy that gunstock oil! i freekin' love it. i have noticed a better feel from building up coats and steel wooling it down instead of wiping it on and right off. i think that you'll enjoy how your guitars feel after you get it all worked out.

sully
                    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                    Sully Guitars on Facebook
                    Sully Guitars on Google+
                    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

If it's a maple board don't bother with the lemon oil at oil. Use the tru oil, just try two coats to start, more than that IMO gives it a finished feel (which you may prefer but I don't). If you put too much on, steel wool will take it off.

Comment

Working...
                      X