Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
    Open it up and play it immediately.

I'm officially calling shenannigans on all this warming up/acclimating stuff.

I've routinely gone hot/cold/hot/cold with my Gibsons and have suffered no temperature related finish or neck adjustment issues.

And yet many others have. Go figure.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Something I always wondered about this topic.If your in a band and touring in those winter months,your guitar gets put into a cold storage compartment on a bus or a cold van(maybe the heater don't work).Then it's taken out on to a hot stage,then back into the cold bus again.Repeated night after night what kind of hell do these guitars go through?

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
        And yet many others have. Go figure.
        One thing I've never seen on the forums (here, or the LPF) is someone's horror story pictures. Where's the pix of someone's brand new R9 that they opened up in the winter and the finish cracked and fell off the guitar?

I'll be a "Don't Open the Case in the Cold-Denier" until I see evidence. I'm not even asking for strong evidence - I'll take internet-evidence.
        -------------------------
        Blank yo!

Comment

http://www.frettedfriends.com/tips.htm#temperature

Comment

I have all of my guitars delivered to my UPS store so it sits inside a warm place. They charge me $5 to hold the guitar for me. Plus, it's a lot safer than sitting on my doorstep.

joe...
            www.godwentpunk.com
            www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

I wish I still had the pics, but years back I was looking for a 70s/80s Les Paul Custom and a guy sent me pics of one that had massive checking from a temp change issue. I looked on my hard drive for the pics, but can't find them....I must not have saved them.

Ever since I saw those pics, I always let a guitar box sit a few hours before I open it. It can be painful to wait, but makes it more "gift like" and I figure that if I like a guitar I will probably keep it for years......what's giving up a few hours in the beginning gonna matter? Maybe the issue is rare, but I'd rather play it safe than sorry.

Comment

I was concerned about this too. so here is what I did when I got my new custom shop solist a few weeks ago.

I got it at the UPS place, it was cold, still in the box so, I put it in the front seat of my truck, turned the heat on high. bout a 45 min ride home. heat blowin on the box.

then I got home, unboxed it but left it in the case,and just unlatched the case to slowly let some warmer air in the case while I ate dinner. bout a half hour. then took it out, put new strings on it and played it. it was fine.

now, I am pretty careful with this stuff. I have friends that totally ignore those ideas, and bring them in cold and open them up and have no problems.

so who knows?????
                "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Working...
                X