Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EMG 81 too bright and brittle sounding..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
    Which lug should I solder the cap to?
    The lead/hot lug...
    Or the center lug (output)

One side goes the the lug, and the other side goes to the back of the pot, right?
    Anyone?
    My fretboard has an over lay, so I have to remove my bridge to get my pickguard off, so it's a real bitch to work on. (Like Newc's SoCal) I had it off today hoping to solder a capasitor on it, but I didnt know which lugs to use, so I buttoned it all back up for now.
    I'm desperately wanting to find out which lugs to use on a 1 volume set-up.

I found schematic for 1V/1T, but they're different, and I dont know if I should just go by the tone in the diagram, and transfer it to my volume pot or what??

Thanks and sorry for the lack of patience, but I dont know who else to ask.
    Last edited by metalchurch79; 12-07-2008, 11:00 PM.
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
      Which lug should I solder the cap to?
      The lead/hot lug...
      Or the center lug (output)

One side goes the the lug, and the other side goes to the back of the pot, right?
      Will that even do anything? I thought a capacitor needed to be connected between two pots. I don't really know about electronics, though.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Why don't you just get a 25K ohm dual pot (push-pull), you know, where you pull up on the knob to operate the other control on it. You can wire it up so the volume operates when the knob it down and pull it up to adjust the tone. Then when you push it down again, you have the tone adjusted and it won't change until you pull up the knob again. Alot easier that trying to solder in all sorts of caps, etc.
        Guitars:
        Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
        1988 Model 2,
        Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
        RR3
        Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
        2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by jrnic View Post
          Why don't you just get a 25K ohm dual pot (push-pull), you know, where you pull up on the knob to operate the other control on it. You can wire it up so the volume operates when the knob it down and pull it up to adjust the tone. Then when you push it down again, you have the tone adjusted and it won't change until you pull up the knob again. Alot easier that trying to solder in all sorts of caps, etc.
          I've thought of that, but I'm not sure that I want another pot involved in my controls, that's why I dont use a tone to begin with.

And Joe, I'm not even sure man, that's why i'm confused here, because I can tfind any info, which leads me to believe that it's not possible.:think:

Another guy told me to solder my capasitor to the lead/hot wire lug of the Volume, and ground the other end.

I'm gonna try this all tomorrow to find out whats up.
          Thanks alot guys!

I wish that there was alower value than 25k, cause it would be alot easier.
          Like 250k vs. 500k for passives ya know.
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven

Comment

i've found that without a tone pot and cap the high end is too shrill and the feedback is out of control on pretty much any guitar i've done that config on.

call EMG and get them to send you both the cap the proper resistor and the schematic necesarry or install the tone pot and leave it in the body. it makes a huge difference and tames the high end proper and pretty much eliminates the feedback issues.

this link might also help
            http://www.sonic.net/~emgman/wiringbook.html

passives i would try are the Dimarzio Tone Zone or the Super Distortion.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I can't believe anyone hasn't tossed out the "why don't you try blackouts" response yet.

Did I miss something?

Comment

I appreciate the thoughts and suggestions, but I am not going with passive pickups, and I'm not putting tone pot on this.
                I was just trying to figure out how to work with what I have right now.
                Every guitar that I own has 1 humbucker and 1 volume, so I'm plenty happy with them as is. This guitar in particular is bright sounding with the EMG'81, and the '85 is too dark, and my pourage is too cold....

Just wondering what value capasitor, and more importantly if I can even use it with a single 25k pot?
                If not, I guess I will have to make due by simply turning my presence knob back a little bit on my preamp, which is what i was doing, but I wanted a permanent solution for this guitar.

Thanks for all the help everyone, I really do appreciate your time and replies to my problem.
                Thanks for all the link as well guys!
                (I'll take a look at that one tomorrow, Dreamland_Rebel)
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven

Comment

The Stewmac link says to use the .0001 cap for the treble bleed mod. I have never done it myself, because I keep my tone knobs connected, and none of my guitars get "muddy" when the volume is rolled back (unless the amp/preamp tone I'm using was muddy to begin with, in which case, duh)
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I think what you're hearing is the EMG's ability to reproduce freqs that other pickups don't... I have fought with a brittle treble issue a lot with my 81's over the years by rolling off high freqs.

I think it is just the nature of that pickup. I like the other things it does tho, so a necessary evil for me.

Comment

I hear ya Cleveland, but I've used nothing but '81's for years, and I have 3 other guitars that have '81's in them right now.
                      It's just this one guitar that sounds like this, the rest are the usual sound to me, and I was ok with them.
                      ....but you could be right, and this one is just a brighter EMG than the rest of mine....it happens with passives too.

I was told to solder a .100 capasitor to the center lug of the 25k pot and then ground it, and that will be the ticket, so I'm gonna try that.

I couldn't find a diagram for a 1 volume + a capasitor to save my life, and I wasnt even sure if I could use one.
                      I'm gonna try that and see if it works, otherwise I might have to just deal with rolling back my presence on the preamp.
                      Thanks
                      'Howling in shadows
                      Living in a lunar spell
                      He finds his heaven

Comment

Ah, gotchya...

Hey, some guitars (wood/bridges) do act differently with EMGs. My BC Rich had a treble issue with them like yours, Charvel 475 and model 4 sound great with them... My USA Fusion sounds like ass with them, muddy on the low end badly...

Comment

Originally posted by Cleveland Metal View Post
                          Ah, gotchya...

Hey, some guitars (wood/bridges) do act differently with EMGs. My BC Rich had a treble issue with them like yours, Charvel 475 and model 4 sound great with them... My USA Fusion sounds like ass with them, muddy on the low end badly...
                          I hear ya man, it must be the variances in the build process, like passives.
                          Oh well, what can ya do?
                          Been playing EMG's for years and I will continue to use them for my main guitars. I have a few passive guitars as well, but I rarely play them as much.
                          'Howling in shadows
                          Living in a lunar spell
                          He finds his heaven

Comment

Dave Mustaine Live wires

Hey, just wondering has anyone tried the dave livewires in any of their alder or poplar bodied guitars, was thinkin of throwing a set into my kv1 but they're pretty expensive, any advice?

Comment

doh!!!!!! i ment to start a thread for my question!!! LoL, damn hangover!!! sorry dudes!

Comment

Working...
                              X