Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do people change out their licenced floyds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick comment- make sure the OFR will fit (and I don't think it will on a DK2)...you might need a Schaller floyd, which is a great unit.... will fit the smaller route.

Vass

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      Personally, I changed out my licensed Floyds (particularly the JT580) because the fine tuners on the licensed trem felt like the threads were wobbly. When I got them in "the right spot", they seemed to jump to either side of that spot.

I don't have that trouble with an OFR, and only rarely have I encountered it with a Schaller-logoed licensed Floyd (in fact, only once).
      Newc, I've had alot of success by curing this (I've had the same probs as you) by putting a drop of "Permatex" Thread Lock on a toothpick and putting a dab along the length of the threads.

As it dries I turn it a few times, to keep it from "locking" it too much. It's plenty enough to take the slack and the sloppiness out of the threads.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Another reason is that most Licensed Floyds are made of cheaper metals which cause premature wear on the knife edge of the baseplate.
        This leads to tuning instability, annoying "clicking" noises, erectile disfunction, and irritable bowel syndrome.
        Okay ... maybe not irritable bowel syndrome.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
          Another reason is that most Licensed Floyds are made of cheaper metals which cause premature wear on the knife edge of the baseplate.
          This leads to tuning instability, annoying "clicking" noises, erectile disfunction, and irritable bowel syndrome.
          Okay ... maybe not irritable bowel syndrome.
          I had "E.D" once.
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
            I had "E.D" once.
            See? ... ya shoulda had an Original Floyd.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
              See? ... ya shoulda had an Original Floyd.
              :ROTF: that's how I cured it.
              Good stuff Dino, that was funny as hell brother!
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
                Quick comment- make sure the OFR will fit (and I don't think it will on a DK2)...you might need a Schaller floyd, which is a great unit.... will fit the smaller route.

Vass

An OFR does fit on a DK2. The problem arises when you want to use the OFR posts, as they are larger than the licensed Jackson trem.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyroadie View Post
                  An OFR does fit on a DK2. The problem arises when you want to use the OFR posts, as they are larger than the licensed Jackson trem.
                  Yep, the OFR will indeed fit on a DK2.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Vass
                    Not true. An OFR will drop right in. You will have a little more space in the top part of the trem cavity but that's just cosmetic.
                    Good deals with:
                    Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyroadie View Post
                      Damn, you guys post fast. You can pop the old trem bushings out and put the OFR trem bushings in if you want to use the OFR trem posts(which I highly recommend). You'll have to take some sand paper and bore out the bushing holes in the body a bit for the larger OFR bushings but it is an easy fix and greatly adds to the stability of the trem.
                      Good deals with:
                      Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

Originally posted by srommes View Post
                        Damn, you guys post fast. You can pop the old trem bushings out and put the OFR trem bushings in if you want to use the OFR trem posts(which I highly recommend). You'll have to take some sand paper and bore out the bushing holes in the body a bit for the larger OFR bushings but it is an easy fix and greatly adds to the stability of the trem.

Yeah, I didn't have the time, but define "pop." That sounds really easy

Comment

An OFR absolutely will fit a DK2.

Vass
                          There is no "team" in "Fuck You!"

Comment

The original studs and bushings will work just fine no need to change them.
                            I guess I'm the only one that loves the JT-580 lp LF unit.
                            My 92 Fusion H-H has had OFR's both reg and lo pro and the JT-580 low pro kicks ass in this guitar I don't know why just does. It has never had a tuning stability problem and the fine tuners are tight as a gnats ass.
                            I love OFR's and have tons of guitars with the real deal floyds and that is what I use when building guitars but the JT-580 lp is a fine high quality trem.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

The JT580LP trems I've had were pieces of junk. Granted, they were in used (abused?) condition, and had slop in the saddles, slop in the tuners, a crappy trem arm fit, and the knife edges go to hell really easy. Plus, I can't stand most LP trems, and the JT580LP is no exception. Once you have gone to a real OFR, there's no turning back. I'd imagine that the upgraded JT580LP on the post 2006 DK-2 (black hardware) is better in the durability department though.

Oh and yeah, the OFR will fit a DK-2 without modifications most of the time. It was the 90's axes with the JT-590/500 Schaller clones that it wouldn't fit on. I think the only case where you may get in trouble, is if you downtune a lot and putting on really heavy strings; after intonation the locking bolt on the 6th string may overshoot the route.

Comment

A few quick points:

1: Any trem stamped Takeuchi on the block is a good trem. Many JT580s and 580LPs were NOT made by Takeuchi, and were therefore crap. I know, I had them.

2: Takeuchi also made a trem identical in looks to the Schaller-made JT590 used on 1990-91 Pros. These are stamped Takeuchi on the block and do not say Made In Germany on the baseplate. The model designation JT590 is NOT a Schaller model #. It means Jackson Tremolo 590, and was therefore available to anyone whom Jackson contracted to manufacture that design and put a Jackson logo on it.

3: An OFR will not fit ALL DK2s ever made because the length of the recess behind the saddle locks/fine tuners was shorter on some of them. I know, I had one.
                                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                                X