No announcement yet.

Charvel EVH Loss of power!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm assuming your tech did go ahead and replace th pot, jack, and resolder everything before saying it is the pickup? Also, you did make positive the two unused wires for coiltapping (red and green I think but I haven't touched a Duncan in awhile). I've just never heard of a pickup that isn't 30 years old crapping out like that, much less one that is only a few years old.

Comment

Well, if it's not a Duncan, that wiring scheme won't work

What's on the bottom plate of the pickup? Anything?
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

dude, just pop a custom custom in there, you WILL sound like van halen.

Comment

Originally posted by JediHalen View Post
          Anyone else here had any dealings with the Charvel warranty thingy?
          Yes, I did. When my tech (also were I bought the guitar)put a Sustainiac Sustainer in my B/W EVH Charvel the pup went bad and slapped in a Tone Zone. He called Charvel, gave him the serial # and sent me a new pup and pickguard (to put back to original if/when I want) Took four days..............

With Sustainer and Tone Zone

"When a naked man is chasing a woman through an ally with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross"............ Dirty Harry

Comment

He called Charvel, gave him the serial # and sent me a new pup and pickguard (to put back to original if/when I want) Took four days..............
            Awesome !... Actually a Fender rep got in touch with me this morning after sending them an e mail stating what had happened, and he`s gonna get back to me as soon as he hears back from Charvel. he seemed pretty positive about the situation and said You should get a full replacement.

So... fingers crossed, my pride and joy will live again.

BTW- That B&W Sustainaic Charvel is killer! actually Edward V Halen uses a Sustainaic on the odd occasion, so it sorta makes sense
            www.vendetta-theband.com
            www.atomhawk.com

Comment

Just thought I'd mention that the Art Series guitars come stock with 250k volume pots.
              I noticed when a guy sent one in for a setup and a new pickup.
              This same person owns all three models, so out of curiousity I asked him to take a peak at his other guitars and he confirmed it ... all of em were 250k.

If this is the case with yours, you may want to consider swapping it with a 500k when you swap the pickup.

Comment

OK wait, I'm slow- JediHalen & 777 BOTH had one of these pups croak on them? Once is happenstance, twice......

Vass

Comment

Hi guys,
                  got my Bare Knuckle pickup installed in the EVH as a temporary replacement 2 days ago, actually when I took it home and fired it up.. it sounded great but really over the top!, as in an untamed sorta sound!. I didnt really notice it at home just plugging in to my practice amp, but when I fired up the Mesa Stiletto at the band rehearsal last night... boy, talk about a wild pickup.. I had to take the gain down by almost half!
                  Actually..
                  If this is the case with yours, you may want to consider swapping it with a 500k when you swap the pickup.
                  your right about that.. I should of got the tech to change that.. will do that as soon as I can.

About the pickup that broke.. He checked it over and one side of the pickup was broken ( as in the coil ) Thats why it was only cooking on half power!

Will send a pick soon... Its a zebra so it actually looks pretty cool
                  www.vendetta-theband.com
                  www.atomhawk.com

Comment

Originally posted by JediHalen View Post
                    About the pickup that broke.. He checked it over and one side of the pickup was broken ( as in the coil ) Thats why it was only cooking on half power!
                    Well, seems like it's working "correctly". Wasn't Eddie's original pickup broken, too? :ROTF:
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X