No announcement yet.

Dimebucker VS Bill Lawrence USA 500XL - Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm drawing up a wiring diagram for my RR project and am wondering what are the color codes for the L-500XL pickup?

Dan Erlewine's The Guitar Player Guide has a Bill Lawrence with 4 wires listed, but I'm not sure if it's the Bill Lawrence USA or the Bill & Becky L.

It has them as:
    White & Green (start & finish for the South poles)
    Red & Black (start & finish for the North Poles)

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
    They are rarely sold on ebay that's why you dont see them often, but keep checking and you'll find one.

The Bill Lawrence USA's have the wires in either a RED or a GREY sheath, and have thinner blades. Stay away from those!!

**Here's a tip**
    The Bill and Becky ones have 5 wires that aren't in a sheath, they are indivual and all sticking out.
    The wires are Red,White,Blue,Green,Black.
    The blades are thicker than the USA versions.
    There's usually 3 stickers on the bottom of the pickup:
    #1. Bill Lwarence's autograph
    #2. An American Flag
    #3. The model of the pickup

Here's a photo:

Keep an eye out cause they aren't on there often. Only buy this version.
    You can buy brand new ones for $54.00 at:
    http://wildepickups.com/Wilde_Bill_s_Twin_Blades.html

Comment

Apparently this should work:

This place, lists wiring for a lawrence pickup as:
      NStart Green, NFinish Black
      SStart White, SFinish Red

This sire has gone and duped the exact same table as the one above.

I can see the confusion in this, as for instance, the image I posted has a Bare wire and no Blue (suggesting it's for a Lawrence USA), and the credibility of the other two sites is questionable in my opinion. However, with all this long winded nothingness, I actually am getting somewhere.

This photograph is of an instrucion sheet of a Bill and Becky pup. http://www.servimg.com/image_preview...=89&u=10051644

Happy soldering, mate!
      Its all fun and games till you get yogurt in your eye.; -AK47
      Guitar is my first love, metal my second (wife...ehh she's in there somewhere). -Partial @ Marshall

Comment

That wiring diagram is for a Bill Lawrence USA pickup.

You need to wire your Bill and Becky Lawrence pickups like this:
        White - Hot (lead wire)
        Red & Green wire together and tape off
        Black & Blue are the ground wires. They can be used together, or you can do like me and ground them to different locations. I run the Black to the bridge ground, and the Blue wire to the back of my volume pot.

Dime turned his pickup around, but it really didn't make a difference because of the nature of the blade design pickups and the pull on the poles. It's hard to explain really.

I get the best results by using a 500k volume pot (no capasitor) and no tone pot.
        They're very chunky sounding but clear and bright at the same time.

I havent been on here much lately so I apologize. I have some really cool links that I could pm you if you wanna do some more reading up on Bill & Becky Lawrence, etc...
        'Howling in shadows
        Living in a lunar spell
        He finds his heaven
        Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

How does the "real" Bill and Becky L-500XL sound with cleans? Does it distort on the clean setting like an X2N?
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

It's not bad actually. Atleast not for my setup, but as with everything it depends on how hot your signal is going into your amp.
            I'd say that if you roll you volume back to about 7 or 8 it will clean up really nice.
            I think the L500L is a little cleaner (slightly less output) than an L500XL.
            'Howling in shadows
            Living in a lunar spell
            He finds his heaven
            Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

here's a vid of me playing my old warlock with the bill lawrence USA l500xl. alot of reverb i know, lol. i also have this pickup in my DK2m its a good pickup. im thinking about getting a dimebucker for the dk2m though.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tX28_kLhOo
              subscribe to my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/deathmetal44
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P-TymW-84g
              www.soundclick.com/gothmetalshredder

Comment

Lot of reviews said the dime was kinda thin sounding and there is a few that dont care for the duncan invader I have one and it rocks pretty well. Does the Bill lawrence sound good for VH type of music? What about GFS ? there pretty cheap compared to duncans.
                EVh Wolfgang/frankenstein pup
                1959Epiphone les paul
                george L cables
                mxr pedals
                Engl fireball 100

Comment

well i have the SD version, and im guesing something came undone, bcuz it makes my 6505 mod on my vypyr sound like the LOW GAIN brit model, in fact i know something is wrong, bcuz its a gain cutting piece of shit right now, i think ill put it in my explorer and see what happens...
                  I hooked up my accelerator pedal in my car to my brake lights. I hit the gas, people behind me stop, and I'm gone.

Comment

Working...
                  X