Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose tightened down, action still high?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After reading through this thread, more questions have been raised than anything else. Everybody here means well & wants to help, but it's hard to give good advice on something that sounds way out of whack like this without having the guitar in front of us, or at least some really good pics. If you really have 3mm clearance at the 1st fret, my advice would be to take this guitar to a good tech before you start thinking about shimming the neck or anything else. I think the £33 would be money well spent, especially if they're cool enough to let you watch & learn a few things so you're comfortable with it. Some techs will let you watch, others won't.

Comment

Good advice dg!!! A couple of well shot photos may help a little more also.

Comment

I agree with dg to a point, but IF everything else is correct and the guitar is otherwise to spec (neck releif, floyd install, springs, floyd angle, nut install etc), you need to shim the neck pocket. BTW - it is very easy to do - see business card example above. The only advise that I would add is that you should use some adhesive to secure the shim to the pocket as once you get the guitar set up correctly, it sux to have the shim fall out when you take it apart for a small tweek, only to find that you did not get the shim back in the same place. A pick or similar small/thin peice of plastic will do the trick as well. This is a very common problem with floyded guitars generally (although it does tend to be more necessary on guitars that were retro-fit for floyds or a kalher from a v-trem).
        "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

Working...
        X