No announcement yet.

Kahler question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah Aldo's is still there, alive and well! Where are you from?
    'Howling in shadows
    Living in a lunar spell
    He finds his heaven
    Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      I always thought 9s were like spiderwebs for standard tuning. I can't imagine using 8s and tuning down a half-step! You need to hit the gym or something. :ROTF:
      Coff coff I play 08, something half a step down.

Other famous users of .08:

1)Malmsteen (1/2 tone down)
      2)Brian May (and he's playing with a short scale instrument, 600 mm)
      3)Jimmy Page
      4)Tomy Iommi (and plays 1 and 1/2 step DOWN :O )

In truth, all these players have a particular sound and it's partially derived by the THIN strings, besides that, if I have to bend, for instance a C on the 2nd string, 13th fret to a E or a F, aka 2 or 2 1/2 tones up, you have to play with .08 AND have a STRONG hand...
      '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
      '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
      '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
      '92 Fender Strat scallop
      '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
      '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
        Yeah Aldo's is still there, alive and well! Where are you from?
        Pittsburgh. My old band from the 90s played there, a couple of times. Ironically enough, our name was Nevermore, but that was 1991, before the OTHER Nevermore came about.
        I'm not Ron!

Comment

Cool! Isn't that odd though?
          My friend is from Uniontown and he has played the Burgh quite a few times. Some of the names elude me right now, but I do remember Tommy Rick's. He played Pizone's and the White Tavern quite a bit.
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven

Comment

cool guitar. Can't wait to see it all done.

joe...
            www.godwentpunk.com
            www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Originally posted by GodWentPUNK View Post
              cool guitar. Can't wait to see it all done.

joe...
              Joe here's the most recent photo that I have:

I also have a thread here in the Import Jackson forum that I will be updating as I progress.

I have it mocked up and I strung it with D'Addario 9-42's for now, and those big springs that I'm using in the Kahler have seemed to settle and I had to retune it a few times since they've settled. The bridge has raised up a fair amount since I first strung it, and I think that I might be able to get away with the 8-38's after all.
              Although I wouldn't have a problem if I would have to run 9's because I use them on 3 other gutiars as well.
              I just didnt want to be stuck using anything thicker than 9's, or I would have replaced them with thinner springs.
              Thanks for all of the help with this!
              I hope that i can return the favor and help someone else out in the future.
              Last edited by metalchurch79; 10-22-2008, 08:59 AM.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                Pittsburgh. My old band from the 90s played there, a couple of times. Ironically enough, our name was Nevermore, but that was 1991, before the OTHER Nevermore came about.
                Did you guys have a five-song EP out in record stores, on Caroline Records in 1989? I got a cassette from my local metal record store in the mid '90s, I thought it was the Jeff Loomis/Warrel Dane Nevermore, but it wasn't. They did a cool cover of The Doors' "Break On Through".
                http://www.metal-archives.com/release.php?id=34415
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There's alot of great underground metal that comes from Pittsburgh. Dofka, Psycho Scream, and Triple X are a few of my fav's
                  Tim Aymar is the singer in Triple X and Psycho Scream, who later did the album with Chuck Schuldiner called Control Denied "The Fragile Art of Existence".

Racerx2k:
                  If that band Nevermore is in fact your band, I'd like to get a copy of that one.
                  There's some other local Pittsburgh metal bands from that era that I'm looking for, ao if you have time could you shoot me a pm and I'll list them, and likewise I'll return the favor. I know a dude in Altoona that has The Metal Library of local metal! Alot of great Power Metal and Thrash Metal from mid 80's to mid 90's
                  Thanks bro!
                  'Howling in shadows
                  Living in a lunar spell
                  He finds his heaven

Comment

Working...
                  X