No announcement yet.

Dead, dead, dead!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah its not something normal. I checked the floyds post and they were tight
    -Dan

Comment

Am I the only one here who loves old strings? I'll never change strings if I dont have to.

Comment

Meh, just boil 'em and keep on going...
        "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
        Gotta get away from here.
        Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
        Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

I've used Ernie Ball strings a number of times, and I've found that they always seem to get REALLY dull after a couple of days worth of playing. That, and they'd rust up like crazy too, even WITH my wiping them clean almost constantly. The only strings that'd rust and dull up faster than EBs are Gibson strings- it seemed like they were MADE to rust up.

So I went to D'Addario's and have never looked back. They last longer, sound better longer, and don't snap like Britney Spears after an all-night booze bender.

DR strings, especially the color-coated ones, sound pretty good, too- IF you can stand the coating that is. Some players don't seem to like that stuff.

Comment

Nobody has sweatier hands than me and I get weeks out of my Super Slinkies. They are really similiar to D'Addario strings in my opinion, but I keep breaking the D'Addario's.

Matt

Comment

I doubt anything is wrong with your guitar. At least not that is causing this issue.

I'm pretty picky about my strings and tone, and SERIOUSLY hate using Ernie Ball Slinkies.

I can put them on, and literally hear to them go dead (or at least change tone drastically) within 4-6 hours. I've noticed this for many years, and I see they must not have changed much. They certainly sound outstanding when fresh, then they go south....

I always sorta thought they sounded much better (brighter, chimey) than many strings at first, then settle down into mediocrity. So, maybe that end result isn't really all so bad, just very different than when they go on, so it seems quite drastic.

I pretty much use SIT strings these days. Although I'm sure there are lots of great ones out there. I just won't use EB's for sure.

YMMV

Comment

yeah, so i put on the dr highbeams and its crazy how much brighter the sound got. Problem solved and i think ive found my new brand of strings
                -Dan

Comment

Cool. Glad the problem is solved. I use the EB Power Slinky (11-48) on a few of my guitars, but I've never had them go dead real quick.
                  The DR Highbeams are nice, though. I've got them on my string-thru Dinky (11-50) and they don't seem all that much brighter to me, but they do seem to last a lot longer and don't corrode as quickly.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've never had a problem with EB SuperSlinys. I have had a few Jackson imports that for some reason new strings sounded like old strings very quickly, however.

I traced it back to the JT580 trem. Replaced it with an OFR and had no trouble.
                    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                      I've never had a problem with EB SuperSlinys. I have had a few Jackson imports that for some reason new strings sounded like old strings very quickly, however.

I traced it back to the JT580 trem. Replaced it with an OFR and had no trouble.
                      I was thinking about getting an OFR but didnt know if it would fit in the cavity and also I dont know if the nut size will fit
                      -Dan

Comment

well you can just keep the same nut unless you're anal.

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post
                          well you can just keep the same nut unless you're anal.
                          I'm anal
                          -Dan

Comment

Glad it worked out. Hi Beams are sick in my experience. Brightens up the sound considerably, and keeps it bright for a good long while.

They're part of the reason I swapped the bridge pup out of my stock Fusion Pro. It was so bright that it felt like I was stabbing an icepick into my forehead. Of course, swapping out the strings would have been the reasonable move, but I was looking for an excuse to fook around with some stuff & I found it

As a wee lad the guy at the guitar store put Super Slinkys on my strat copy, and I just kind of stuck with them for years. I had the same problems others mentioned- Sounded awesome for a few hours, then dropped off considerably. I thought that was just the way it worked. Ditto for the corrosion problems. Pretty much if I was putting new Slinkies on I was going to jam for a few hours because I didn't want to waste the "goodness".

I don't use em anymore

Vass
                            Last edited by Vass; 10-16-2008, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dan8185 View Post
                              I'm anal
                              are you like really really really anal because I honestly believe any floyd nut works the same as an "original" floyd nut. only thing possibly different is nut height, flatness of the base and radius, which all depends on the guitar anyways.

speaking of which, does anyone know websites that sell nuts and list their SPECS because the majority of sites just list their width and that's it.

Comment

I was thinking an action issue as well. Perhaps the string gauge you use is different from what was on the guitar when you purchaced it? Did the angle of the bridge change at all?
                                http://www.reverbnation.com/#/themightypragmatics

Comment

Working...
                                X