No announcement yet.

Recommend a good pickup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used both "trem spaced or f-spaced" and regular spaced in Floyd'd guitars and have never had a problem. You might just notice that the outer 2 E strings don't line up exactly over the poles but I never noticed any difference in the sound.

As for pickups.....Duncan Distortion or DiMarzio Super Distortion for that "Chunky" metal sound. And if you really want over-the-top try a DiMarzio X2N. That's a killer pickup.
    Guitars:
    Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
    1988 Model 2,
    Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
    RR3
    Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
    1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
    2005 SG Special

Comment

I used JB's for a long time. Then I started using the Screamin Demon and that pick up is da bomb!!! IMO You can't go wrong with a Seymour Ducan cause they have added a cool natural tone to all of my guitars even with lots of gain. Dimarzios and such seem to give too much of a tinny and scrachy sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotti View Post
        I used JB's for a long time. Then I started using the Screamin Demon and that pick up is da bomb!!! IMO You can't go wrong with a Seymour Ducan cause they have added a cool natural tone to all of my guitars even with lots of gain. Dimarzios and such seem to give too much of a tinny and scrachy sound.
        Is it just a tinny scratchy sound when you are practicing or when you are jamming with other musicians? I have a Dimarzio DP100 that I Love/Hate. I'm leaving it though. It SINGS, squeals, and cuts like a moFo'.

Comment

How about "I lost my number. Can I have yours?"

Comment

i've found that when the poles dont line up its usually the high e that sounds a little quieter, but you can raise the bottom of the pickup to compensate.

Comment

Originally posted by MartinBarre1 View Post
              It won't make any difference, I wouldn't worry about it. Like you say yourself, you haven't noticed any problems.
              If you were going to buy a new pickup for the RR3 then I'd get a trembucker simply because it's designed to fit the guitar type, but I wouldn't worry about it unless you want a different pickup.
              I had a standard spaced Custom in my RR3 and it was fine.
              Cool, thank you for the info
              In the future though I need to remember to not buy guitars while on Nyquil

Comment

To the OP, I just put a Bill Lawrence USA 500XL in my JDR 94 and it kicks ass. Considering the price - about half what a DiMarzio or Duncan costs, I'd be more than happy to get a few more of these things!
                http://www.amazon.co.uk/Steven-A.-McKay/e/B00DS0TRH6/

http://http://stevenamckay.wordpress.com/

Comment

The voting seems heavy towards SD with a couple of DiMarzios thrown in.
                  Here's a link from a guitar mag. If you haven't seen this check it out . . . .

http://www.premierguitar.com/magazin...ur_Duncan.aspx
                  JvicE

Comment

Originally posted by FloydRose4Prez View Post
                    Hi. I just bought a Dinky Reverse Pro, early 90's. I don't like the stock Jackson pickup -- sounds a bit "tinny" to me. I need a bridge pickup that will provide a good 80's Metal kind of tone. Growl and sustain on power chords and screaming pinch harmonics. No mid-range, the amp provides that if I want.
                    Any ideas?
                    Dimarzio ToneZone!
                    JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                    Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

How much are you willing to spend? I just put a Bare Knuckle Holydiver in my SL2H. I think it does 80's better than the JB. They are tonaly similar but the Holydiver is less ice picky, to my ears.
                      Or sticking with Duncans I also like the Alternative 8 for 80's metal.
                      Last edited by themisfit138; 11-08-2008, 11:26 PM.

Comment

Jackson J90C
                        Kent Armstrong WPU-11 (JB knockoff with a ceramic magnet, although not F-spaced)
                        Gibson 500T
                        Rockfield Mafia

New GFS model (which I have not yet tried) just came out called the "VEH" which is supposed to deliver EVH's early 80's sound. At $38, it's not a very expensive experiment.
                        please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Rio Grande Muy Grande! I have the Muy Grande/Tallboy set in my '97 DR3, and there's none better. And that guitar has had more pickups in it than Tera Patrick's had c**ks...

Comment

I have F-Spaced DiMarzio Evolutions in my WR1 now. Only got the guitar back last night, so I will be trying them out as soon as I get some spare time to myself. The guy seemed to be under the impression the F means Floyd!
                            Last edited by wilkinsi; 11-09-2008, 08:34 AM.
                            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Evolutions are great pickups, and I've had alot of success with those. I like the DP-166 Breed as well.
                              Actually I've had better luck with DiMarzio than I have with Seymour Duncan for some reason.
                              'Howling in shadows
                              Living in a lunar spell
                              He finds his heaven
                              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Since no one's said it...SD Custom 5
                                www.JerryRobison.com
                                '84 RR, '06 Pablo Santana Soloist,'76 Gibson LP Custom 3 pup,'79 LP custom 2 pup,'82 Gibson XR-1,'89 BC Rich Namm proto, '07 Lauher custom, 86 & 87 model 6, Carol-Ann Amplifiers, Marshall amps, Keeley pedals....it's a long list. Check out my site.

Comment

Working...
                                X