Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just order a Gotoh FR, should I order the nut as well?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've used the plumbers tape trick before on jack sockets nuts, loose screws etc and it works really well but I didn't reckon it would work on the posts because of the amount of lateral force. As it happens, they seem to be ok. I gave them a good shake and they're solid. If they do start to mess me about, I'll be getting the tape out.

I got it installed tonight and lucked out on the locking bolts - they fit just fine but thats a cracker idea about using a nut to clean the thread on them if you have to cut them. I'll remember that

The trem block also fits so no supercharger

The only issue i had, and i think it's fairly minor, is that the plate fits the route, just. It's very, very slightly skimming the body at the bottom left corner of the route, as you're playing and it might take a tiny bit off the finish. I really tried to seat the plate in the posts so that i'd have total clearance but it just wouldn't happen so I just bulled on with it. Don't think it'll be a problem but i didn't know i could do about it anyway.

I bunged on a new set of strings and they're not fully stretched and tuned so i don't know how well it'll return to zero but it does feel good, a lot smoother than my 580 or JT6. Even to hold it in my hand, it felt like solid quality. the tuners also have a nice firm resistance which i like. I think i'm gonna on with it just fine.

Thanks for all the help fellas
    Last edited by CaptHowdy; 09-30-2008, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Capt, thats awesome that every single thing worked for you!! Now ya just got to wonder what WILL go wrong.
      Hopefully nothin, but thats the luck I have sometimes.

edit: didnt see the part about the trem hitting the body route. I wouldn't worry about that too much really.
      You can adjust the feel of the tuners with the screw on the side. I usually tighten them up a little bit so they dont get bumped out of tune as easy.
      Last edited by metalchurch79; 09-30-2008, 06:14 PM.
      'Howling in shadows
      Living in a lunar spell
      He finds his heaven
      Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
        when i bought my gotoh FR new it came with a nut and everything.
        Stateside gotohs seem to come with the nut but i scored mine from wd parts in the uk and none of their gotohs come with a locking nut. It was a good price though, £91. Mine seems to be ok but i'll wait until those strings have stettled before giving it a test.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
          Capt, thats awesome that every single thing worked for you!! Now ya just got to wonder what WILL go wrong.
          Hopefully nothin, but thats the luck I have sometimes.

edit: didnt see the part about the trem hitting the body route. I wouldn't worry about that too much really.
          You can adjust the feel of the tuners with the screw on the side. I usually tighten them up a little bit so they dont get bumped out of tune as easy.
          Yep, it was pretty sweet, church, I'm lucky it went well because I'm pretty new to floyds and I'm only just getting into the way of setting them up. Minimum stress is cool and I reckon I can live with the clearance issue. Glad i didn't have to start dowelling and drilling, though.

Didn't know about those adjustment screws though. The sheet that came with it only told you about fitting the arm but the english translation was a giggle.

Comment

My gotoh ($36au, love uninformed ebayers!) came with a nut aswell, its alot higher then the 580 nut, which I like. Higher strings down there gives better tone imo, which works with the awesomeness of the bridge itself. My other identical dinky has a slightly better nut stock though, so it's case by case(this things seen thousands of hours of use). Sucks you don't get to play hotrod, but awesome theres no issues! I have a little of the same of that body route issue, and if I fudged the intonation a little I wouldn't have the bolts poking out past the recess, but I don't mind it to much, just means a little less harmonic pullup.

Enjoy!

Comment

After 20 years of hardtails, I'm having a lot of fun with the Jackson and the Charvel. I'm having to control my urge to litter every song we play with dive bombs and squeals

I'll see how I get with the existing nut but hopefully upgrading it will be as painless as it was for the trem itself. Any recommendations for a replacement nut? I'm not sure about OFR since there have been issues with the their trems. I saw that TheTroy is recommending OFR but is it an older one that he has?

Also, in the little baggie that contained the keys (or wrenches), I had 3 silver pickguard-type screws. Anyone know what these are for? The trem is cosmo black so I don't reckon they belong to it and try as I might, I couldn't see what I should be doing with them.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptHowdy View Post
                I'm not sure about OFR since there have been issues with the their trems.
                Really? What issues?

Comment

John Suhr had been using OFR's but after finding that he was having to spend about an hour on each one to rectify a number of issues, he decided to switch to Gotohs. I'll try to find the thread and post the link but I read it and it was enough to put me off the ofr and push me to the gotoh.

Comment

Here ya go. The original thread was started in Jan 07 but Suhr is still using the gotohs.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/arc.../t-312436.html

http://www.suhrguitars.com/bridges.aspx#Floyd

http://www.online-discussion.com/Suh...a1998a0bc87150

Comment

Working...
                    X