No announcement yet.

String Change with the Floyd

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just use a stack of business cards to keep the trem leveled.

Comment

Do you guys turn the tuning pegs by hand, or do you use those winder gadgets? I tried one 20 years ago and found that it difficult to use. But I was a kid, so...

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
        Do you guys turn the tuning pegs by hand, or do you use those winder gadgets? I tried one 20 years ago and found that it difficult to use. But I was a kid, so...
        Yes, I do!

Although personally I like those tuners who have the winder into the head, Gibson used them in the late 70s/early 80s and I think they're very confortable...

Sooner or later I lose all my winders, as well as the allen wrenches, picks etc...
        '90 (8?) Jackson Soloist Professional
        '97 Jackson RR1 Pile o'skulls
        '97 Gibson Les Paul Classic
        '92 Fender Strat scallop
        '97 BC Rich perfect Bich
        '99 Burns Brian May black beauty

Comment

Originally posted by joshulator View Post
          there are different brands of string winders. The one I have is a pain in the @ss also. I just cant remember to get a better one.

Comment

What would be a reccomended winder? As I recall, the one I had previously didn't really fit my tuners too well.

Comment

I can rip the old strings off, clean the guitar and fretboard, restring and float/stretch/retune in about 20ish minutes. make it an hour if I decide to tape off the frets and polish them with some 0000 Steel wool.

Having 19 Floyd style trems in the arsenal helps one get used to doing it...

Comment

If change the strings one at a time it's much easier. Also, I've mentioned this in the past, but if you're changing string gauge a Tremol-No is huge. Allows you to lock in the bridge at the perfect float, tune to pitch & then turn the trem loose again. Then you just do the claw adjustments till it floats to where you had it locked and you should be (close to) in tune. I do this swapping one string out at a time, however.

I imagine the Tremol No COULD hold the trem level with no strings at all, but I haven't tried it. Better have it tightened up real good if you do.

Takes me 15 minutes I'd guess from taking the guitar out to having it restrung normally. Although I've had some saddles that just kept slipping that made it take considerably longer.

Vass

Comment

i take about an hour because i stretch and retune till it holds tune.
                  Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                  X