No announcement yet.

Any emg fans with an 18volt mod ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using EMG's for years and i love them only recently i did the 18V mod and trust me its worth it .

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Hawk View Post
      I had my tech do it a few weeks ago. I haven't even looked at how the wiring is done. I'll check it out in the next few days and post a picture.
      Thanks, I really appreciate if you can.
      http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

My buddy Jamie (Floydkramer) has done the 18V mod to one of his guitars.
        I must say, I like it... and don't generally prefer the EMG vibe.
        Wiring it with a toggle sounds totally badass.
        That's a megacool ideer!
        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
        --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by Phantom Hawk View Post
          I have EMG's in my snaleskin WR1 and I really like 'em for drop tuned stuff. I have the 18v mod wired with a mini series/paralell switch. That way I can switch between 9v and 18v depending on what sound I want.
          Could you or anyone else for that matter draw up a diagram for this, or perhaps try to explain it to me?

Thanks alot guys!!
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven
          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

The switch would simply have to bypass the second battery, yet not break the continuity.

The mod is done in series anyhow, I do believe.

So with in the 18V position, it adds the second battery in series.

It would be simple matter with a meter (or even a flashlight bulb) for testing.
            "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
            --floydkramer

Comment

I found a nice image on the web:
              http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pic...od-switch.html
              Scott

Comment

Thanks dude, but is that how it is supposed to be wired or not? Those guys on the forum never said one way or the other.

Here's the diagram that was shown:

BTW, I just did the 18v mod to my KV3 & also my KV2 bolt-on, and I gotta say that I'm lovin it very much! The compressed sound is somewhat looser now, and it is much more responsive, kind of like a passive in a way.

I'd like to hook up an on/off toggle to go from 9v to 18v, so if anyone knows for sure if this diagrams is right please post and let us know.

Thanks alot guys!
                'Howling in shadows
                Living in a lunar spell
                He finds his heaven

Comment

It's correct as long as the switch works that way. I've never played around with a mini-toggle, so I can't say for sure.

You'd want one that has one input and two outputs and only two positions. Just like a 3-way toggle but without that center position.

When the switch is in position one, it sends the signal right to the ground, bypassing the second battery.

When the switch is in position two, it sends the signal to the second battery which is then connected to the ground.
                  Scott

Comment

Hooray! Thanks for the pic!! I asked this same question on Harmony Central a few months back and didn't get much help. You guys are the best!
                    http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

I've done it on a Charvel-inspired Warmoth. Had it routed for a double battery box from conception. I haven't done an a/b comparison, though. I had the EMGs in a Les Paul previously (9v), and I like them better in this guitar. It is hard for me to say if it is because of the guitar, or the extra battery, or both.
                      The Guitars:
                      Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                      The Amps:
                      Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                        It's correct as long as the switch works that way. I've never played around with a mini-toggle, so I can't say for sure.

You'd want one that has one input and two outputs and only two positions. Just like a 3-way toggle but without that center position.

When the switch is in position one, it sends the signal right to the ground, bypassing the second battery.

When the switch is in position two, it sends the signal to the second battery which is then connected to the ground.
                        Yes, the toggle needed for this is a DPST on/on switch.
                        I was told that going from 9v to 18v using a toggle may produce a loud pop heard through the speakers because of the change in power.
                        I'm gonna try it tomorow and find out.

Being that I only use 1hum, I think it would be awesome to have another sound to mess with.
                        'Howling in shadows
                        Living in a lunar spell
                        He finds his heaven

Comment

Originally posted by DocNrock View Post
                          I've done it on a Charvel-inspired Warmoth. Had it routed for a double battery box from conception. I haven't done an a/b comparison, though. I had the EMGs in a Les Paul previously (9v), and I like them better in this guitar. It is hard for me to say if it is because of the guitar, or the extra battery, or both.
                          If you really want to know then remove 1 battery from the Warmoth and short across the terminals of the bare battery connector.

Comment

Originally posted by KMud View Post
                            If you really want to know then remove 1 battery from the Warmoth and short across the terminals of the bare battery connector.
                            Yeah, I could do that, but I don't want to find out that I might like it better with 9v.
                            The Guitars:
                            Jackson USA SL2H, Jackson Performer PS-4, Gibson Les Paul Studio Gothic, Ibanez JS-1000, B.C. Rich Mockingbird ST, Martin GPCPA5 Acoustic, 14 Warmoth customs, Ibanez Artcore AS73, Ibanez Prestige SR1000EFM Bass
                            The Amps:
                            Peavey JSX 212 with JSX 412 cabinet, Ampeg B2R with Ampeg Portaflex PF210HE cabinet

Comment

Working...
                            X