No announcement yet.

Painting A Guitar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here was my first spray job, using rattle cans. I used auto spray paint (laquer based) and laquer clear as well. I would recommend using clear, otherwise sweat and just about any knock will take off the paint. I wanted to do camo, but couldn't figure out how to do good tape lines at the time, so I went with the basic EVH. Also, if using laquer paint, make sure your tape is designed for laquer paint, reduces chances of pulling up paint, especially if using multiple colors.

If it's your first, use LOTs of clear. You likely will over sand and sand through.

Comment

You guys have been a big help, especially you JacksonFreak. Anyway, hopefully I can take what you guys said and make it turn out great. I've learned alot actually, it amazing how much stuff I learned about paint pocess through one simple question.

Thanks again. I'll post pictures when I get a chance on starting the painting process.
      sigpic

Comment

Just a note: The automotive spray lacquer is "acrylic" and dries faster than the commonly used "Nitro" based transparent lacquers used on vintage guitars. If you are going to use rattle cans, go with the acrylic lacquers. When companies, such as Fender started applying solid colors and metallics in the late 50's into the 60's, they were using acrylics based on Dupont formulations.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
        X