No announcement yet.

EMG pickup combo for my SL2H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 85 is very good for the bridge, better dynamics and low end than the 81. But it's too dark in the neck position IMO. the 81 goes very well in the neck, and in the bridge if you want more of a one-trick-pony "Justice" type tone.
    18 Volts setup of the EMG's is supposedly very good too, but I haven't bothered testing that yet

Comment

I'ld go 89/89 .

Comment

I'd suggest going 81/81, using the 18v mod.
        You will get very nice cleans with this, while still getting the distorted sounds you're looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by 1b4n3z View Post
          Keep the Duncans I say! I've got EMG 81 / 85 combo on my SL2H and it sounds quite lifeless and boring - my ESP MII with JB/'59 sounds a lot better and at least as loud. I just ordered another SD set for the Jackson - begone with the EMGs!
          +1 I think EMG's are one of the biggest overrated pups ever. A JB is much better to me. To each his own.

Comment

I have the Blackouts in my Model 5 Charvel and I love them as well. They are hot but not super high gain and have a real nice open sound. My understanding was the EMG patent expired and the Blackouts are essentially reverse engineered EMG's with an improved lower noise amplifier structure.

Let put it this way, the J-80c's and JE-1200 are currently retired hehe.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              My understanding was the EMG patent expired and the Blackouts are essentially reverse engineered EMG's with an improved lower noise amplifier structure.
              So that would explain all of the uncanny similarities. It just seemed like too much of a coincidence that they shared the design,look,and even the wiring.
              This is more believable to me than just coincidence. I wonder if there's anything to back this up?

I would go with 1 volume and 1 EMG'81 in the bridge, (no neck pickup,no tone.)
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven
              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Working...
              X