No announcement yet.

pick up selection request........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

nobody ever mentions the dimarzio breed.
    if you want lows and low mids go and check it out...

Comment

Originally posted by jonsgon View Post
      i thought the higher the dc # the louder the pup
      This is mis-information.

The output of a pickup is a funtion of the number of turns of wire around the coil, the strength of the magnet, the size of the strings, and how hard you hit the strings.

People incorrectly equate the dc # (resistance) = the number of turns because for the same size of wire, more turns = more resistance. But manufacturers us different sizes of wire, so a coil with 8,000 turns of 43 wire will have higher resistance than a coil with 8,000 turns of 42 gauge, but the first coil will not be more powerful even though the resistance is higher.

Seymour says the resonance peak is the best indicator of how the pickup will sound.

Comment

Originally posted by jonsgon View Post
        I have a will adler rep. esp, which is a mahagony body with a maple neck and an ebony board and it has the stock jb pup. To me it just sounds "thin", it needs more lows and mids. I'm comparing it to my les paul classic with the stock 500t pup which sounds great in my opinion, and all my alder bodied guitars mostly have the duncan tb-14 which i also like, so my question is which pup would get me in the "sound ballpark" with this guitars wood combination?

thanks in advance....

jon
        TB-14? You sure you don't mean the TB-4 (JB)? Do you have a Floyd in there, or a different tremolo?

Mahogany isn't dull or soft or warm sounding. Anyone who owned a good Explorer knows better.

You should check whether you like what Michael Schenker gets for a sound, that's a Duncan Custom and you can expect your guitar to be not too unsimilar to his V (unless you have a Floyd).

If you want thicker, there's the Duncan Distortion, which has a fatter wind but less magnets than the 500T.

If you want very warm and fat there's the SD Invader. The Invader isn't brutal or screechy or anything, it is just very warm and thick sounding. That'll solve your problem all right, but it's possible you end up not liking it for solo work.

Comment

Working...
        X