Simple but elusive fret polishing tool search

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
    i rub #0000 steel wool up and down the fretboard. it polishes the frets wonderfully while cleaning any gunk off the fretboard. can also be used lightly on the back of the neck too clean any grit out of the finish without messing anything up.
    I do this too, though I won't touch anything with a gloss finish with the steel wool unless you want to change it to matte.

Comment

I go all the way to 2500 gt on the fret sanding. Takes a bit more time... 600-1000-1500-2500.. But makes the polishing easier and a bit quicker.
      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Ok, so in regards to only the 800 - 1000 gt sanding step, which tool do you use to rub the sandpaper on the frets with?

Comment

paper across three fingers, or the business card thing i mentioned before.
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I use 3m fine cut rubbing compound lightly after taping off the frets. Then whipe it on and whipe it off. Leaves a nice shine and if some of the compound gets in the wood frain by accident. A stiff tooth brush works great after it dries. I also use 0000 steel wool. depending on my mood. And how much work i want to do. I also tape over the pups so the steel wool wont attach itself to the pup when im polishing.
            Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
              I also tape over the pups so the steel wool wont attach itself to the pup when im polishing.
              Gil
              Yeah don't forget that part. Otherwise you'll never get that stuff totally cleaned out.

Comment

I use the #0000 steel wool on the frets, but I'd love to try this: http://www.gorgomyte.com/

Comment

I basically use the same method as JACKSONFREAK after a level & recrown to get a nice finish. I use "Marine 3m Finesse-it II".

To avoid getting the polish in the fretboard wood, I found that applying some to a soft dry cloth and letting it dry first, then polish the frets. This gives a very fine dry abrasive to work with. I don't even have to mask anything using this method.

I have also used 3m microfine sanding sponges in the past, but I tape off the fretboard.

Comment

Working...
                  X