No announcement yet.

Electrical issue regarding volume.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not everyone owns a multimeter. I know that's a bit of a shock for a lot of folks, but I'd wager less than 10% of all players worldwide own a multimeter.

M78 - Try the following:

1. Wire the bridge pickup straight to the Output jack - no switch, no Tone.
    2. Wire both pickups to the switch, then the switch to the Tone, then the Tone to the Output jack - no Volume.
    3. Wire the pickups to the switch, switch to the Volume, Volume to the Output jack - no Tone.

If you still get the same thing on any wiring setup, you have a bad pickup.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      Not everyone owns a multimeter. I know that's a bit of a shock for a lot of folks, but I'd wager less than 10% of all players worldwide own a multimeter.
      I think it's safe to say that if someone is working on their own gear i.e. soldering and replacing pots, then they should have a multimeter. Now, whether they do or not, that's a different story.

Comment

I don't have a mulitmeter (surprise), but i did poke around while it was plugged in to see if I got any different results, checked all the connections, and replaced the pot once. It is actint exactly the same with this pot as it was with the last one. Volume have to be in the exact same place to work properly. The guitar really hasnt been a priority because I have several others I have been playing. But recently I decided I wanted to try to solve the problem. I guess I will try yet another pot, but don't really see how that would be the issue.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

If I were you and im not, but i have been through this same situation with my rr3 and i replaced all the electrical componets under the pickgurad and everything was perfect afterwards. So in my opinion you never just replace one thing you do it all at one time just as if it were a brake job on your car.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
            I don't have a mulitmeter (surprise), but i did poke around while it was plugged in to see if I got any different results, checked all the connections, and replaced the pot once. It is actint exactly the same with this pot as it was with the last one. Volume have to be in the exact same place to work properly. The guitar really hasnt been a priority because I have several others I have been playing. But recently I decided I wanted to try to solve the problem. I guess I will try yet another pot, but don't really see how that would be the issue.
            You're not trying to use 250k/500k pots with emg's or 10k/25k pots with passive pickups, are you? Just a thought...

Comment

Originally posted by dirtyroadie View Post
              I think it's safe to say that if someone is working on their own gear i.e. soldering and replacing pots, then they should have a multimeter. Now, whether they do or not, that's a different story.

Agreed. Everyone should have one, even if it's just to check pickups without hooking them up.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Ah, yes the emgs use different pots! Post a picture of your guitar mate then we can get a better ( picture) of what your working on.

Comment

EMG's use a 25k pot and passive use 500k.
                  If it were me I'd redo the entire wiring using (you know what kit I'd use) cloth covered wire.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                  X