No announcement yet.

My first soldering iron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needing a soldering iron, where did you get yours? Is there anything else special I need for changing out pickups? what kind of solder do I need to use?

Comment

You want electronic solder, rosin core stuff, not acid core. For your first iron, I would stay away from Weller. Their old stuff and guns are good, but my newer Weller Iron just was not able to keep the small, cheap tip in because it screwed in and was not anchored with a screw. I think most are made like this now on unfortunately, but Wall Lenk may make an iron that has a screw to hold in the bit. My Wall Lenk-made Craftsman Professional 150 soldering/400 heating watt gun is fantastic, but is way too much for a beginner. For an iron, I would say you want between 25 (ideally 30) and 40 watts.

Comment

I got mine at Radio Shack. It can be frustrating because it heats the tip unevenly, but it gets the job done.
        Scott

Comment

Thanks~
          I appreciate your input, dug thru 7 pages of searched "soldering" posts...and didn't find the needed info~

Comment

Originally posted by Mordor View Post
            Thank you everyone. The guitar sounds great also if with certain amps it is too middy. The only problem with it is a ground problem when I do not touch any metallic part on it. I tested the ground solders and they seems to be fine, I don't have a clue about it. It plays great non the less though!
            Is it also noisy when the volume is turned down?

Comment

I ended up buying my first soldering iron this weekend at Radio Shack for $10 bucks- 30 watt and thin, rosin-core solder, which was suggested to me by a guy who usually does my guitar work... I guess the thicker stuff gets too globby for the thin wires you'll be soldering for pickups.

This looks like it...appears that I overpaid by 2 bucks at my local Shack! I also bought a de-soldering suction thingie, but didn't need it, still in the package, available for other projects.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...entPage=search

Vass

Comment

Working...
              X