No announcement yet.

Maple board resto tips. Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A flexible blade spatula also works great.
    It will pull the frets evenly, if you're doing it correctly.
    Especially handy if you plan on reinstalling the old frets.

Comment

I might need advice too. So you get a fine blade and drag sideways along the wood as if removing the charcoal from a slice of burnt toast?

Comment

Originally posted by alfredpotter View Post
        I might need advice too. So you get a fine blade and drag sideways along the wood as if removing the charcoal from a slice of burnt toast?
        Sort of. It depends on the board.
        Generally, take an exacto knife and score under the fret as much as possible before trying to peel the fret. Otherwise, you might end up pulling up wood along with the fret.

A modified set of end nipping pliers also works, or you can purchase fret pliers.
        These are good because they secure both sides of the wood against the fret.
        I use both, depending on the board, and how the frets are installed. I've even had to "push" frets through on old, difficult maple boards. I won't describe the process here. It's not simple.

Comment

aaah, that board looks amazing! id leave it alone!

Comment

Originally posted by donnieb View Post
            aaah, that board looks amazing! id leave it alone!
            If the frets are in good enough shape, I agree.
            I like the look of it.

Comment

I'm not pulling any frets on either board. I wanted to see how that knife gets right next to frets. It seems to work real well.
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I wouldn't touch it myself, it looks fine.
                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

fett, have you tried using acetone on it?

Comment

I haven't done anything to the first neck. I'm messing with the cheap second neck. Sorry to confuse the issue.

Comment

I spent about 2 hours today messing with the neck. I leaned a few things. Scaping works fine but it takes a long time. There was way more finish on the frets that had markers. I did try sandpaper and that just left scratches. I decided to tung oil it. Then I discovered that was a good thing. It indicated where I still had finish. Then I went back to the knife. The oil loosened up the residual finish and the scraping was more precise. It really is turning out quite well. That is if you have a lot of free time.:ROTF:

Comment

Might as well re-radius the FB while you're there.

Comment

I have a light touch. I know what I am scraping and it ain't wood. Woody:ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                            I have a light touch. I know what I am scraping and it ain't wood. Woody:ROTF:
                            I may be a smart ass, but not always.

It requires a certain amount of IQ points to be successful at that sort of
                            tomfoolery. Serious. If the frets are out, then it's a great time to get the radius corrected on the fingerboard. I wouldn't bother pulling frets without at least throwing some radius gauges on it.

Kudo's to your efforts!
                            Make it worth it, now, laddy.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                              I spent about 2 hours today messing with the neck. I leaned a few things. Scaping works fine but it takes a long time. There was way more finish on the frets that had markers. I did try sandpaper and that just left scratches. I decided to tung oil it. Then I discovered that was a good thing. It indicated where I still had finish. Then I went back to the knife. The oil loosened up the residual finish and the scraping was more precise. It really is turning out quite well. That is if you have a lot of free time.:ROTF:

Don't we get to see pics of the carnage?
                              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

It cleaned up real well..

Comment

Working...
                                X