No announcement yet.

jackson paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike: I thought that "Charvel" used House of Kolor? Remember I had the headstock lifting issue? IIRC you were discussing HOK products and the reaction between.
    ~Andy
    Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

They use some PPG....some HOK when needed. They also use Nitrocellulose at times. They use polyester as well as polyurethane when needed.
      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
        They use polyester as well as polyurethane when needed.
        Just out of curiosity, exactly what dictates that choice? I've heard of the yellowing qualities you speak of with polyester clear (which may be why it's not popular in the auto finishing biz), but I've never used it myself. I do, however, use polyester primers because of their high build and quick curing properties, plus I use polyester base colors.
        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Dont use poly-e over whites and silvers. Careful with it on other colors drastically effected by the tint.
          Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
          http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

New question: which of the two (poly-u / poly-e) are a better choice for pointy guitars like V's and RR's? In other words, which of the two is less likely to crack and chip when the points are whacked against something?

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
              which of the two is less likely to crack and chip when the points are whacked against something?
              Neither. Try duct tape.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                Neither. Try duct tape.
                Umm...any second opinions?!?

Comment

I take it you don't like the looks of duct tape?
                  Seriously, if you're gonna bang it around it really doesn't matter what type of paint is on it. Your gonna fuck it up anyway. Screw it.

Comment

Umm...any second opinions?!?
                    If you bumpy the tips enough, no paint is going to hold up. The guitars you see for sale on ebay with paint missing from the tips usually have wood missing too. No offense sounds like you need a soloist.
                    Seriously, if you're gonna bang it around it really doesn't matter what type of paint is on it. Your gonna fuck it up anyway
                    Except for MAYBE Mike Learn you can't get any better advice on painting then from Mark here.

Comment

thanks for the info! ok, so i got my base coats on a couple of days ago, i used polyurathane. how long should i let it cure for before i apply my clear coat? also is it ok to use polyester over polyurathane?

Comment

Originally posted by donnieb View Post
                        thanks for the info! ok, so i got my base coats on a couple of days ago, i used polyurathane. how long should i let it cure for before i apply my clear coat? also is it ok to use polyester over polyurathane?
                        Clear coats go on immeadiately after the base coats. You don't want a complete cure on the basecoats before applying clearcoat. Ester clear will yellow slightly over light colored polyurethane base coats. If it's dark, you shouldn't notice.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                          Clear coats go on immeadiately after the base coats. You don't want a complete cure on the basecoats before applying clearcoat. Ester clear will yellow slightly over light colored polyurethane base coats. If it's dark, you shouldn't notice.
                          Several years ago there were some problems with adhesion of the clear over base colors, and it was thought that the clear needed to be put over a base before it cured completely. Actually these days that's no longer true. It has been thoroughly tested, and has been found that todays clears will adhere fine to base coats even after days or weeks of curing. Also, putting clear over a base that's not completely cured can retard the curing of the clear as the solvents in the base continue to try to escape. That can cause shrinking of the clear down the road, and/or reduced durability of the clear itself. Since I'm no expert on all of the paint systems out there, there may be some exceptions, but none that I'm aware of.

Comment

Thanks Mark for the updates. I'm just old school PPG trained. Years ago when I started using DBU base coats, they always told us to apply the clear right away up to 1-2 hours. Way back, I used to shoot acrylic lacquers like Dupont, then cure a week (for solvent release), then clear. They don't make the old No. 82 clear anymore as you know. The formulation changed (probably environmental) and I've been using the DCC and Omni clears. Omni seems to work over anything.
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Omni is good stuff, and buffs real nice too.

Comment

Working...
                              X