Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just finished my first refret tonight!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And heres some pics of my work...

This is the refret on the 7 string:

And this is the Model 2 neck I leveled/crowned/polished:
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Gratz!
      That looks F'in Great! Well Done!

Comment

Nice job, Rob

It's great when you make your own tools (if you can) because I think it helps you understand the process much more. By the way, it looks like you used a flatter bevel angle on the 7 string neck as compared to the Model 2, or is that just the pics? Also, how do you crown? Oh and one more thing, the dykes are actually called "Linesman pliers". Dikes are short for diagonal cutters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diagonal_pliers

Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Nice work man! I have a question. It may be dumb but I have no clue. When you level/crown/polish, do you have to first adjust the truss rod for a straight neck with no strings or do you have a slight bow from when the strings were on it and just level/crown/polish? Or does it even matter? Thanks and again, great work!

Comment

Dave, I didnt refret the Model 2, I only l/c/p'd it and smoothed out the bevels a bit. On the 7 string neck, I used a bit too much bevel for my liking. Im going to be making a new beveling block for the next fret job with less of a bevel... I personally prefer more playing surface, especially on the high e. And yeah, linemans, dykes... whatever, at work I usually just say to my helper "get me that friggin thing!"

For crowning, I use the double edged crowning file shown in the first pic. Its a good tool, but Im not sure how long its going to last. Figure its got 3 full crowns on there at this point, so well see. I cant see it lasting past 7-10 necks worth of crowning.

z1n, generally you get the neck as straight as possible before leveling.
            Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

The nipper is key.
              Last edited by j4vice; 02-18-2008, 02:39 PM.
              JvicE

Comment

Wow Rob...
                Most impressed over here.
                Very cool stuff... now I'm getting GAS for tools...
                This sickness just gets deeper and deeper!
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

So that fret end filing block is where you'd bevel the fret ends? I was always under the assumption it was done while already glued in the fretboard. Is rolling the fret ends the same thing as beveling? You skills humble me. I am not worthy. haha

Comment

Once you seat the frets and cut off the excess, you first file them flush with the board. Then you flip the beveling block around and use the angled side to get the bevel. It actually goes alot faster than you would think, as long as your cutters cut the frets nice and flush.

And I wouldnt say I have "skills"... Im still a n00b when it comes to fret work, Ive got alot to learn, but Im getting there!

Comment

Nicely done. And I like that you made your own tools. Those two nippers look like the ones I bought at Harbor freight tool, for a song. Ground em down, too. I have all the makings for the bender, just never got to it.
                      I'm not Ron!

Comment

Rob, I guess I am confused, your fret end filing block looks like it would be for cutting the frets to size before installing in the fretboard? If the frets are already glued in and trimmed to the edge of the fingerboard, I don't see how that block would work for tapering the fret ends. What am I missing? That said it took me a while to figure out how your fret radius bender could actually work. Even still how do you determine a 9" radius or a 16" radius? Trial and error and then measuring with templates to get close? Just curious as I think it's really cool you did all this yourself.

Comment

Very impressive! Luthiers get big bucks for refret jobs. My Jackson Fusion needs frets and I can't justify the cost......but maybe I'll get the guts to try it someday now, THANKS!

karl

Comment

Working...
                          X