No announcement yet.

Duncan Pup ID help, please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just pulled out an invader out of the model 2 I just got. It didn't sound that bad. I'd say go for it. It has very little highs though, but it is hot. Drop it in and go learn some early Dio with Campbell.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
      ...depends on how well you can unscrew. seriously, it's not tough, just unscrew the poles and transplant them.

sully
      LOL :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:

Thanks! I'll try it one of these days......

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
        ...depends on how well you can unscrew. seriously, it's not tough, just unscrew the poles and transplant them.

sully
        One more question....How do you remove the polepieces that have solid heads, like the ones on the second coil of a JB?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
          One more question....How do you remove the polepieces that have solid heads, like the ones on the second coil of a JB?
          You are not serious, are you? The slug coil doesn't unscrew.

Comment

well, in all fairness, let me say this:

on a pickup that has adjustable pole pieces, they go all the way through the back of the pickup. if the slug coil's pole pieces go all the way through, in theory you could push them through from the back. please know that i'm a few shots of jameson into my evening, so if this doesn't apply to your situation, then DonP is not only 100% correct, he's also totally right.

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Makes sense to me. We had a thread where someone had to tap down a pole. If you can see the poles on the bottom of the pup. you should be able to tap them a bit higher. Or I could be drunk.:ROTF:
              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

I take slugs out all the time. Some newer pickup baseplates like Dimarzio or Seymour Duncans will have 12 holes for pole pieces which I guess they use universally whether they need them or not probably to cut costs having all pickups using the same baseplate. Older Duncans had only 6 holes for the adjustable pole pieces and the rest was sealed. For those you take off the baseplate and from the bottom of the coil push the slug up until it comes out. Usually to get it started I take out an adjustable pole piece and center it on the slug, and gently tap it. once it moves a bit (breaks ther wax seal) you should be able to press it out, but make sure you use a thimble or a block of wood as you will hurt your thumb otherwise.

Comment

Don't try this technique with single coils though. The bobbins are made of fibreboard and would bend with the same kind of force humbucker bobbins are put through to press out the slugs. Plus the wire is wrapped directly around the slugs so the copper wire will break if you press out the outer poles.

Comment

Those pole pieces don't just push out. Enjoy your Jameson.

Comment

Working...
                    X