Stewmac Buffing Arbor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewmac Buffing Arbor

Do any of you guys have this (or maybe something similar)?
    http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishin...s.html#details

After years of buffing by hand, I finally got one.
    I'm just trying to figure out the most practical way to mount it to help conserve space in my small workshop.

If anyone here owns one, can you please post pics of your setup?

Thanks!

Not a bad choice in a buffer but your only doing guitars right?I wouldn't spend that much on one but thats just me.I use this from Harbor Freight and it works great for me.I don't usually buy from there and I stay away from the sprayguns they have but this thing with some 3M Finesse it and 3M Perfect It medium cut and your axes will have a great buffed finish.The key is in the wetsanding and the paint you use.I use Urethane with my HVLP guns,stay away from rattle cans.I finish in my garage lol

Comment

Originally posted by ashden View Post
      Not a bad choice in a buffer but your only doing guitars right?
      I wouldn't spend that much on one but thats just me.
      Yep ... guitars only.
      Didn't spend a dime ... it was a Christmas gift.

I use this from Harbor Freight and it works great for me.
      I don't usually buy from there and I stay away from the sprayguns they have but this thing with some 3M Finesse it and 3M Perfect It medium cut and your axes will have a great buffed finish.
      You forgot to post a pic, but that's okay ... I've checked out stuff at harbor Freight and, well ... no offense but most of what I've seen there is junk.
      But if it works for you, then that's all that matters.

The 3M compounds you use on your wheel are some of the same compounds I use by hand.
      Works okay, but I'm anxious to use the Menzerna compounds on my wheel.
      It's supposedly the same compounds used by major manufactures like fender and Gibson.

The key is in the wetsanding and the paint you use.I use Urethane with my HVLP guns,stay away from rattle cans.I finish in my garage lol
      IMO, the "key" to a nice looking paintjob begins with good body prep.
      The better the body prep, the better your paintjob.
      Wetsanding is important, but a polished turd is still a turd.
      And yeah, I'm using urethanes ... Rattlecans suck.

Thanks for the info.

Comment

I don't have pics, but I had a similar system years ago. I used a buffing/grinder stand for the arbor polishing system that I bolted to the concrete floor. The setup was compact. I know that doesn't help much, but they do take up a lot of room while using them, since you are swinging the guitar body or necks around. So keep a good space clear around the unit.
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
          I don't have pics, but I had a similar system years ago. I used a buffing/grinder stand for the arbor polishing system that I bolted to the concrete floor. The setup was compact. I know that doesn't help much, but they do take up a lot of room while using them, since you are swinging the guitar body or necks around. So keep a good space clear around the unit.
          Thanks Bengal.
          A pedestal setup would be ideal, however the arbor I have requires a separate belt drive motor.

My shop is rather small and all of my bench space is pretty much spoken for, so I'm now considering maybe mounting the arbor, motor, switch, etc .. to a board and then mounting it directly to a concrete exterior wall.

It if works, it would save a considerable amount of space.

Comment

That should work fine and be out of the way and save space for you.
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
            X