X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can they do anything besides metal? Yeah I'm weird

Comment

Can they do anything besides metal? Yeah I'm weird
      I only have a bridge and it is wired to 18volts. In this setup only medal. I tried to change it to 9volts but something wasn't right not enough output.
      the tone is killer and I don't(can't) use my distortion pedal with it. No cleans.

Comment

Do you have to wear black fingernail polish to play these?
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
          Anyway, the Blackouts rule. They sound 10x huger than the EMGs. A lot crunchier and a lot more low end. The EMGs are compressed sounding, which makes them kind of shrill, I think. They straight up blare (the blackouts, that is).
          I was curious how they sounded in comparison to the EMG's. Looks like I will have to order one and try it out on my DKMG.
          Jackson DK2M Red Ghost Flame
          Jackson Performer RR
          Ibanez RG7421 w/Blaze's
          Fender Acoustic
          Blackstar HT-5 head
          Blackheart 1X12 cabinet
          Rocktron Xpression effects rack

Comment

Weird as I can get nice clean jazz tones out of a Schecter Omen 6 with Emg 81/81's. Even in the bridge...

Comment

The 81 is a great pickup for clean tones.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                Do you have to wear black fingernail polish to play these?
                nah...eyeliner will suffice

anyone know how they compare to the HMET liverwires??

Comment

anyone know how they compare to the HMET liverwires??
                  livewires are crap to me and I love my blackout. I sold a really great playing guitar because I didn't have the money to change the pickups and I couldn't stand playing it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    livewires are crap to me and I love my blackout. I sold a really great playing guitar because I didn't have the money to change the pickups and I couldn't stand playing it.
                    +1......they unuseable!!
                    Good deals with:
                    Metal Medal II, Tonyl11

Comment

I put Blackouts in my SLSMG. I replaced the passive EMG HZ's though so no direct comparison with the 81/85 set up in this guitar. But I have a King V with 81/81 and a DKMG with 81/85 and the Blackouts sound at least as good. Hard to say better because the SLSMG has mahogany body, neck, and ebony board. Totally different from the other two. I think it does have more pronounced lows then the 81 though. This may be a good thing and may not. The 81's nail early Metallica better I think, but these sound maybe a little more "modern"?

I can get cleans out of them too, but I never had too much trouble getting cleans out of any pickup if I roll the volume knob back and/or adjust my amp.

One note of caution, the SLSMG is all black and it has BLACK STRINGS too, so my opinion may be tainted...

Comment

i have been a long time EMG 81 user and i love that pickup . i have been readying up on the blackouts for a while and decided to do a comparison with my 2 kevin bond jacksons. i replaced one with a blackout and left the other one with the EMG 81. back to back here is what i concluded. The blackout is definately a hotter pickup with quite a bit more noticable gain. The blackout definately has more bass and mid-range, now thats what i had been hearing and is why i wanted to try one but for some reason i couldn't dial in the tone as good as i did with my EMG81. Conclusion , the blackouts are supposed to be "better" versions of the 81/85 and to some they will be , and to me they are great pickups, far better than the livewire HM, but overall i love the tone from my 81, and thats what i stuck with. But i would say for anyone who finds the 81 or 85 lacking something to give the blackouts a try . just my opinion

Comment

Working...
                        X