No announcement yet.

Help Needed Refinishing KV2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you are painting with a Base Clearcoat system the painting is not to bad. Because base goes on flat like a primer and than the clear coat goes on after it. The nice thing about the clear coat is that you are going to wet sand it and polish it in the case of a guitar so if you get a run you just wet sand it out. You just have to watch you do not go through the clear when you are sanding. If I am restoring a car I would apply 3-4 coats of clear than wet sand and apply two more coats of clear than wetsand and polish.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      One of our board sponsors, Mike Learn, can also refinish it. Probably won't be too cheap either, but he can do it.
      http://www.learnguitars.com/

Good work isnt cheap. A strip and refinish at 600 is about right. the misconception people have about my pricing is that...They see what FMIC is charging or graphics and they think....thats what Mike must be charging. What they charge is their business, but I am sure you get the feeling Im not cheap because of this. Im sure anyone would find my pricing quite competitive.
      Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
      http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by dogueboy View Post
        If you are painting with a Base Clearcoat system the painting is not to bad. Because base goes on flat like a primer and than the clear coat goes on after it. The nice thing about the clear coat is that you are going to wet sand it and polish it in the case of a guitar so if you get a run you just wet sand it out. You just have to watch you do not go through the clear when you are sanding. If I am restoring a car I would apply 3-4 coats of clear than wet sand and apply two more coats of clear than wetsand and polish.

I strongly suggest not wetsanding your guitar. You can mess stuff up pretty fast once the water seeps down into the drill holes. It will swell up the wood quick like. Dry sand everything and let the buffer do the work. I dry sand up to 2000gt. You can also use chemical lubricants...but who neds more chemicals.
        Custom Guitars, Refinish and restorations.
        http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

See you learn something new everyday. Thanks for the repley Mike I am used to working with metal not wood. What do you use for primer surfacer over the wood. Do you use a high build urethane primer?

Comment

+1 wetsanding is a good way to ruin a paint job.On a guitar anyway
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yes that makes perfect sense to me now. Like I said I am used to working with steel not wood. The application is different.

Comment

Originally posted by Learn Guitars View Post
                Good work isnt cheap. A strip and refinish at 600 is about right. the misconception people have about my pricing is that...They see what FMIC is charging or graphics and they think....thats what Mike must be charging. What they charge is their business, but I am sure you get the feeling Im not cheap because of this. Im sure anyone would find my pricing quite competitive.
                I don't have any misonceptions about your pricing, Mike. I'm sure your pricing is quite competetive. Good work isn't cheap is pretty much what I was getting at.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

How cool is that? You ask a refin question and get an answer from Mike Learn! I love this place
                  I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

Yeah, thanks for the input Mike. As for the issue of pricing, anyone who expects to get a decent paint job for less than that is dreaming. Considering all the time involved in prepping, sanding, buffing, etc. $600 seems more than fair to me.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

I agree 100% and yes it was nice of Mike to put his thought in. The man knows his stuff there is no doubt.

Comment

Most people don't realize the cost of paint or all the labor that's involved.
                        $600 sounds reasonable to me.

Comment

Working...
                        X