No announcement yet.

Roller Bridge ??????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

if the string slots on the bridge aren't clean, smooth, and free of debris, i could see it causing somewhat of an issue. i'm a fan of graphite nuts, but as the other guys mentioned, if the slots aren't cut properly (which can happen), that could also cause your tuning issue.

sully
    Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
    Sully Guitars on Facebook
    Sully Guitars on Google+
    Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
      The strings touching the bridge corner is fairly common.
      It is a little common, but they really shouldn't be touching the back of the bridge... you could potentially lose some sustain that way. I don't see any tuning problems resulting from it, though.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

hmm

you mentioned something about the harsh angle of the strings going to the nut and the strings getting hung up on the nut, hence the need for the rolling nut? I had a guitar that had a similar problem recently. i carefully looked at the nut with the stings off and took a fingernail file and carefully wallowed out the tunerside of the string slots(not too much just enough to round them a bit). i then used a pencil and sort of colored the inside of the slots with pencil lead(graphite) for lubrication. the problem hasnt returned. you can also get graphite keylock lube at any autoparts store its used for freeing up pain in the butt door locks. that stuff works pretty good for stuff like this.
        also, ive never tried them but the trem nut from graphtech claims to be self lubricating and are factory installed on several highend guitars and cost ALOT less than a rolling nut(about $9). thinking about getting one for my problem child, seems worth a try: http://www.graphtech.com/tremnut_info.php

Comment

Roller nuts are a pain in the ass.They get grime and funk down in there and suck in general.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Check out the roller bridge that GFS sells:

http://store.guitarfetish.com/robrchplfile.html

I've got this on several guitars, and I'm pretty happy with it.
            please don't put it into words, 'cause I fear what you're thinking

Comment

Originally posted by zm01 View Post
              you mentioned something about the harsh angle of the strings going to the nut and the strings getting hung up on the nut, hence the need for the rolling nut? I had a guitar that had a similar problem recently. i carefully looked at the nut with the stings off and took a fingernail file and carefully wallowed out the tunerside of the string slots(not too much just enough to round them a bit). i then used a pencil and sort of colored the inside of the slots with pencil lead(graphite) for lubrication. the problem hasnt returned. you can also get graphite keylock lube at any autoparts store its used for freeing up pain in the butt door locks. that stuff works pretty good for stuff like this.
              also, ive never tried them but the trem nut from graphtech claims to be self lubricating and are factory installed on several highend guitars and cost ALOT less than a rolling nut(about $9). thinking about getting one for my problem child, seems worth a try: http://www.graphtech.com/tremnut_info.php

Bridge, not nut.

Every stringthrough/TOM Jackson I've had, the holes are too close to the bridge and thus the string touches the body of the bridge before touching the saddles.

You did not mention if this affected ALL 6 strings or just the wound ones. I'm assuming it's the wound strings that are slipping, and if so, then touching the body of the bridge will have some effect as the wraps are hanging up, then slipping off.

That and the nut are co-conspirators here.

Another question: how much of the wound strings do you wrap around the tuners? More than 3 wraps and you run the risk of eternal slippage at the post, but less than 3 and there's not enough for the wraps to adequately lock against each other, hence they slip easily.

Get a set of Sperzel locking tuners and be done with it.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Fuck the locking tuners and just wind your strings properly. Follow this method. http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/stringing.htm

The problem is most likely in the nut, like most level headed members have already pointed out.
                Scott
                Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Working...
                X