No announcement yet.

emg 81 neck or bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, there's two KH signature sets; one's H/S/S like you mentioned (KH20), the other is H/H with two 81s (KH21). He used the H/S/S versions back in the day on some of his old Strats. I believe one of his old Fernandes Strats was loaded with S/S/S EMGs as well.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      Actually, there's two KH signature sets; one's H/S/S like you mentioned (KH20), the other is H/H with two 81s (KH21). He used the H/S/S versions back in the day on some of his old Strats. I believe one of his old Fernandes Strats was loaded with S/S/S EMGs as well.
      I just know about the signature set because I bought one. I was curious about EMGs because I had never tried them, and I saw this set for a good price in Sam Ash. I put them in an old POS Squier with direct-mounted pickups. The good thing is this meant I didn't have to use the ghey pickguard. The bad thing is that the pickups are actually worth less in this guitar than they are out of it I probably turned a $50 guitar into a $60 guitar Sounds decent though, and thats the first time I could ever say that about this guitar.
      "It's hard to be enigmatic if you have to go around explaining yourself all the time"

Comment

i like 81s in the neck for soloing. they are ok in the bridge too. i like the 85 more for the bridge.

I find the 81 more smooth than an 85 in the nck

Comment

I like the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck. I just like the sound more that way. I have sitched them back and fourth. This is my first set of EMGs and are in a Jackson DR3 I usually play a JB in the bridge before the EMGs and still use that pickup in my KV2.

Comment

I like the 81 bridge / 85 neck combo the best. For my taste, the 85 had too much low end for me. I use my guitars mostly through effects processors before the amp and I really like the way the 81's sound going through them. Just yesterday I replaced the 81 I had in the neck of my RR3 with an 85 (I still have an 81 in the bridge). I like the way the 85's sound in that position. Great for "clean" chords and picking.

I also recently decided to "Un"modify all my EMG equipped guitars by going back to 9 volts instead of the 18 volts I've been using for quite awhile. I guess my ears changed a little, but I noticed that the 18 volt mods took away too much mids and lows (not like there is a lot there to begin with!) I noticed it when I put an 81 back into my Model 2, I didn't have the extra 9 volt battery plug so I just did it with one and I really got into how the single battery sounded, so I took them out of my other 2 EMG equipped guitars too.
            Guitars:
            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
            1988 Model 2,
            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
            RR3
            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
            2005 SG Special

Comment

81 in the bridge, end of stoorryyy
              DIVIDE THIS LAND | DIRTY 'N' HEAVY, SERVED PIPING HOT

Comment

Swapped my 81 back to the bridge in my DKMG and it does sound tighter now.I did the swap because lots around here liked it but in this guitar it didn't seem to work.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I put an 85 in the bridge of my Explorer and I have to say I like it better than the 81, but not in my Les Paul I still prefer the 81 bridge in the Les.

Comment

Working...
                  X