Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
    blue = 60
    No, it would be gray, unless they recently changed it.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
      Well, I had told Freddy to install the 85 in the bridge position. I just checked, and he did. I don't get it, they really sound bad. There must be something wrong. There is no way Zakk Wylde, Slayer, Metallica, and others use these things like this. Something is definitely wrong.
      I assume a brand new battery is in there? Is the guitar cable plugged into the jack all the way? Sometimes those EMG stereo jacks are pretty tight and, if the cable isn't all the way in, they can sound like ass. The first time I got a guitar with EMGs, I pushed the cable in, it clicked, but there was distortion on my clean channel and not enough output on my distortion channel... somebody on another site tipped me off about pushing in the jack until it made a second click, and that solved the problem.

If all your wiring is fine and everything else, maybe EMGs just aren't for you.

Comment

My EMGS sound great. Maybe your battery is low??? I also wonder why people think they sound bad when so many bands with great tone use them.

Comment

Maybe you have them hooked up wrong do you have 25 k pots. I've found that pickups are just small part of what make a guitar sound good. What condition is your amp in is it tube or SS? Cables ect. Or it might be the player???? I love EMG and they do sound different in each guitar.

Comment

zeegs, installing a custom and a 59 would be a fantastic idea!

sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
              zeegs, installing a custom and a 59 would be a fantastic idea!

sully
              I figure the EMGs just don't suit how I have my amp set up. It's a shame. I really wanted to like them, and they look awesome. I have Duncan Customs in pretty much all my other guitars, so I know what works. I just rummaged through my pickups, and I have a real nice vintage Custom in the original box.

This should do the trick. I just have to get a 59 for the neck. This kinda works out good, because I already have a couple of Budman rings for regular pickups, so I don't have to get EMG rings from him after all.

Oh and thanks to whoever edited my thread title. Was that you Sully?
              Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Man, that's an old Duncan packaging. I never thought they came in grey..lol. Good luck with your pickups, EMG's aren't for everyone..most..but not all..haha

Comment

Ever since I got my Q-Tuners... I don't think I'll ever go back to EMG's. Haha, I can't believe I thought EMG's where high output

Comment

EMG's aren't for everyone..most..but not all..haha
                    Yeah, same with all that 80's spandex... because of your momma they had to change it to "one size fits MOST"

ok totally uncalled for but i like "yo momma" jokes

Originally posted by Freyr View Post
                    Ever since I got my Q-Tuners... I don't think I'll ever go back to EMG's. Haha, I can't believe I thought EMG's where high output
                    Yeah, so how are those Q-tip hol....uh i mean Q-tuners? You posted a thread about them a few days ago (and yeah, you could fit a q-tip in each hole )
                    "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                    The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

I just did the 81 to the neck and 85 to the bridge swap in my DKMG and I like the 85 where its at but the 81 sucks in the neck IMO very woofy sounding no matter where I set it maybe I'll try a 60 in the neck I think I have one in the pickup bin.
                      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                        Oh and thanks to whoever edited my thread title. Was that you Sully?
                        That was me. I didn't want it to look like you were thinking with your thing. :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by delt View Post
                          Yeah, so how are those Q-tip hol....uh i mean Q-tuners? You posted a thread about them a few days ago (and yeah, you could fit a q-tip in each hole )
                          If days are months, then yes.

I'm still trying them against other pups to get an accurate review... I hate people who get new stuff and post reviews of it two days later... who knows how the hell it works down the road

But, they sound way better then the 18v 89/81 or 81/81 or 85/81 or 81/85 or 9v 81/81 or 81/85 combo's I had in my guitar thoughout the various stages. The pull on the strings like a sun-of-a-bitch though.

Comment

Zeegler, did you consider that it may be the guitar itself responsible for the thin sound? That thing is maple neck thru, the groups that you've defined the sound of emg's use mahogany body guitars. I have esp explorers with emg 81s and 60s and believe me they are not tinny nor metallic sounding.

You may want to try gibson's ceramic pickups as well, they're very high output pickups and have a good bottom end punch as well.

Comment

It's not because of his guitar. I've run EMGs in *everything* at one point, and a maple neck-through does not automatically make them sound tinny. Something must be up with the wiring, like the pickups not getting full juice out of the battery, or they are accidentally wired out of phase.

Other than that - play around with the amp settings. EMGs easilly nail the MOP/Justice era Metallica sound with the mids scooped, and Slayer's sound with the mids bumped. Zakk's sound is a different thing altogether, and is not easy to emulate through pickups and amps alone.

Comment

Well, it's too late, they're sold.

I just don't have the patience to mess around with them. It's pretty much guaranteed that a Duncan Custom will sound better anyway, and there's the added bonus of never having to worry about batteries.
                                Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Working...
                                X