Machinist's Thread for Guitar Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
    Yup...thinking about it. I'm not an expert in lineage, but my FR2 has hardened inserts for the pivot point. The baseplate is probably pot metal.

right, i'd like to have the schaller style base plate with the steel inserts at the contact points, but made of brass instead of cast metal. aswell as a brass sustain block.

if someone could make that, i'd expect a few customers from this forum alone.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I know it's been mentioned in the past that the JT-6 is a well-designed Floyd, just it's not made of quality metal. If this was made with OFR quality, it'd sell pretty well, IMO. A few here would buy em, right?
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Hey Machinists, what would your advice be for this problem:

I have a PS4 MIJ import, the high E slot on the locking nut is "cut" (molded probably, right?) too high.

Forget buying a new locking nut!, call me crazy, but I'm determined to file down the slot and the shelf behind it.

So I'm going to beg or buy some worn out nut files from local stores for the slot, but then what kind of file do I need to file down the shelf?

Don't try to talk me out it!

As a BMXer I have all sorts of experience filing, hacksawing and Bashing metal parts to get them to fit.

Thanks,

Comment

A good quality tri-cut jeweler's file might work. If the string has already started its own groove, you might be able to follow that path. Make sure you are cutting in the correct direction, so the taper is just a little wider towards the headstock. And, of course, work slowly, and check your work often.
          It seems to me that there should be enough relief built in behind the string slot in the first place. Are you sure the nut is seated correctly?

Comment

bengal, my thoughts on carbide evolve form the recent machineable varieties we are using in the rolls for the steel mills. 22 to 27 percent binder content bring them within the range of conventional machining, with PCBN, and PCD tooling. The composition also allows for an acceptable amount of flexibility.
            Mill rolls for hot rolling (don't ask me about cold rolling) require a certain amount of flexibilty in order to withstand highly compressive reduction forces.
            I'd have to look up the exact figure, but I think it's around a 5 percent flex in the rolls themselves.
            So, it is this material I've been working with, and am toying with the idea of using it for other purposes. Not for tone, but for wear parts. Ideally, the cheapest component is the "wear" part, either the post, or a replaceable insert in the base.
            I've not had good luck with stellite coatings. It's a personal thing. The stuff is weird, gummy, and impossibly hard all at the same time. I think it
            has something to do with a non-uniform grain structure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
              I believe Dave, "Budman" is a machinist if I'm not mistaken.

I'm an engineer that can machine and weld with just about any process, but I don't do it from day to day.

yup he is .. I am too .. 30 years now ..
              Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

well damn dude, when are you gonna make us some brass floyd parts?
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                  well damn dude, when are you gonna make us some brass floyd parts?
                  As soon as I figure out if it's a patent violation, or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayday View Post
                    yup he is .. I am too .. 30 years now ..
                    Don't tell me you're left handed, also.
                    My short bio:
                    Born in Manchester, NH
                    Raised in rural New York
                    Machinist since 1983
                    First name Kevin

What's your area of expertise, Mayday? I've done almost everything, except "automatic" lathes, and gear hobbing. I have worked with EDM (wire and die sinking), conventional mills, lathes, some toolroom, some production, fixturing, die work, injection mold work, and now half and half design and roll turning. At least the roll turning work is interesting because of the exotic materials we've been experimenting with. The roll turning field has been suprisingly secretive and lacking in traditions of machine design. Most of the tech is from old steel mill guys, and not "machinists", per se.
                    Also had a healthy dose of "aerospace" materials and CNC work in Arizona.
                    Last edited by Cygnus X1; 11-13-2007, 10:47 AM.

Comment

I am left handed ..but thats not me. I grew up in Lawrence Ma just nroth of Boston.

I am an all around guy. Manual Lathes, Mills, Bridgeport work, Grinders. CNC Mills and Lathes, Cad/Cam programimming and designing, etc etc etc

I work in a model shop curently for an engineering dept within my company. I've done everything from Tool and Die to fixturing and proptoyping ..
                      Don't worry - I'll smack her if it comes to that. You do not sell guitars to buy shoes. You skimp on food to buy shoes! ~Mrs Tekky 06-03-08~

Comment

I am left handed ..but thats not me. I grew up in Lawrence Ma just nroth of Boston.

I am an all around guy. Manual Lathes, Mills, Bridgeport work, Grinders. CNC Mills and Lathes, Cad/Cam programimming and designing, etc etc etc

I work in a model shop curently for an engineering dept within my company. I've done everything from Tool and Die to fixturing and proptoyping ..
                        What ever happened to the MayDay/Sully brass hardtail bridges? (Taps foot ) Was goverment funding/interest lost?
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I don't know about that, I certainly can't speak for that. But, I did like the flat style of the Kahler, and wanted to perfect that design myself. The limitations I have encountered are mostly on the plating and finishing, and of course patent problems. I use simpler tech, like the sustain block under the fixed bridge, which is tough to patent, because it's simply a rectangular block. But, it works.

Comment

Yeah, the brass hardtail bridges MayDay was making were like the old Charvel style with the milled in "slotted" recessed areas for the saddle height screws in the base plate. (Ala, Jake E. Lee) I think a couple of prototypes were made if I remember correctly.
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Hmm ...I have some here in my drawer even

Comment

Hmm ...I have some here in my drawer even
                                Must be the prototypes?

Comment

Working...
                                X