No announcement yet.

Fretboard Problem !! Linseed Oil??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not a fan of linseed oil on rosewood boards.
    I have used it on gunstocks, and I think it collects gunk
    even worse than leaving the board un-oiled. I use mineral oil,
    very lightly.

Comment

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52679

That thread starts off with sully the man, telling everything there is to know about cleaning the fingerboard.

Unfortunately, the sticky is HUGE! and therefore people tend to skip skip it (I think). It holds a lot of great information, but it really should be split up into more stickies.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Gibson fretboard conditioner is garbage! Anything that contains petroleum distillates will eventually do more to dry out your fretboard than condition it. It will make the fretboard surface look great but it will strip the wood of its natural oils.

Fretdoctor is the only thing that I will use on my guitars and I've tried almost everything over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
          That's such a good suggestion, I guess it's why I posted a link to bore oil a couple of posts before yours
          I just wanted to repeat it in case it got missed
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Rupe View Post
            Gibson fretboard conditioner is garbage! Anything that contains petroleum distillates will eventually do more to dry out your fretboard than condition it. It will make the fretboard surface look great but it will strip the wood of its natural oils.

Fretdoctor is the only thing that I will use on my guitars and I've tried almost everything over the years.
            Oh shoot, no wonder I don't use the Gibson stuff anymore. Fret Doctor is the ticket!
            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I use Dunlop fretboard conditioner and have had outstanding results.
              The best and easy way to polish the frets and get most of the gunk off your fingerboard is 0000 steel wool with the grain of the wood before you oil the board of course.You may have to remove a little left over gunk right up against the frets but do it with an old credit card or something made of plastic so not to harm the fingerboard.
              Water is a big NO-NO it can cause the board to crack when it dries out and lift the frets.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Dunlop conditioner has petroleum distillates as well...don't use it! It will make everything look nice but its not truly conditioning the wood. I don't doubt that your results look great, but in reality its only cosmetic.
                You are literally much better off using olive oil than Dunlop or Gibson conditioners as it will actually penetrate and condition. Get Fret Doctor...if you don't like it I'll buy it off of you.

Comment

ive applied some linseed oil on my acoustic for testing , this stuff ever gona dry ? its sticky feeling and smell ..
                  the guitar has been open air drying for 1 night and its still sticky feeling , but the fretboard is too dark now , close to ebonizing! and the smell is there too !! ..

can i use Plain Adable Olive oil ?? on fretboard?

and yea :O bad experience with water , it kind of lifted my 20th fret up , :@ and my 19 fret note at G, D, A are dead ...
                  How to solve this problem ???
                  In God we Trust, All others must pay cash :ROTF:

Comment

Hey, metal...
                    Is it me, or do you not like following advice?
                    Why ask?

Comment

Originally posted by Cygnus X1 View Post
                      Hey, metal...
                      Is it me, or do you not like following advice?
                      Why ask?
                      +1!!!!!

Are you reading what we are saying metalcore???

Or are we going to see a post from you asking how to fix a cracked or gummed up fretboard?

Comment

You can use lemon oil, vaseline, motor oil, baby oil. Anything with mineral oil will be fine. I wouldn't use anything edible like olive oil.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Maybe he spilt his bong water???
                          Originally posted by metalcore View Post
                          some one posted to clean it with Warm Water with soap :O
                          Where did you read that? That guy probably just smoked a crack rock before firing up his bong! Or was that you? :ROTF:
                          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

metalcore did not check his responses before he went off and did what he was going to do anyway

Comment

Nice! Let us know how that olive oil works out on top of your linseed oil & water, dude. What else do you have in the cabinet?

Comment

i prefer boiled linseed oil. you can get it cheap at the hardware store.

but the trick is to wipe it clean after 5-10 mins. don't wait for it to dry completely. you're only gonna soak in so much at a time. and you want to get the excess off while its still wet or you will have gunk issues.
                                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                                X