best pick up for old school metallica?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by toejam View Post
    For old Metallica, you'd be best off with a Duncan Distortion (Hammett) or Invader (Hetfield).

They didn't use EMGs until the Justice album, and James started out with dual 81s like Kirk, then he went to the 81/60.
    yeah and that album sounded like processed cheese. one of the worst metal guitar tones ever IMHO. they havent sounded good since master....

Comment

Agreed. If they added some midrange, or at least the midrange on Jason's bass, it would have sounded much better and fuller.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthernXer View Post
        Ultrasonic Reference 6... Great pickup but very hard to find... I think the company went belly up in 1987 or so and the last time I checked there wasn't a West Germany any longer.
        Didn't Kirk use the Ultrasonics on his gray/bowling ball swirl Tom Anderson guitar?
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Invader would be a good pick I guess... but I don't think they where all that ¨tone searching guys¨, they just crank there amps and started the show.
          '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
          '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
          custom made Les Paul
          VOX Tonelab LE
          Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
          ADA MP1
          BBE 422A
          Lexicon MPX-G2
          ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
          Support Your Local 81

Comment

I'd still go EMG 81.. ultimate metal pup. Btw, isn't AJFA considered old school metallica too?
            "I hate these filthy neutrals! With enemies, you know where they stand. But with neutrals... who knows? It sickens me!"

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              Didn't Kirk use the Ultrasonics on his gray/bowling ball swirl Tom Anderson guitar?
              YES, dont know which ones they had 3 models IIRC.

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                Yeah but wasn't Hammett using his EMG-equipped Rhoads live from at least '86 or '87?
                '85 even. MOP(album) had the RR on it as well. James used his Gibson and his King V to record the album. (both non emg-ed). Though James state he got EMG's from EMG during the RTL tour, I have yet to find a single shred of evidence to support that fact. James had EMG's in his Gibson as far back as during the MOP tour. I am 99% sure there are no EMG's on the rhythm tracks of MOP. There ARE EMG's on some of the solos though (Kirk's RR).

EMG is the way to go. You'll sacrifice some warmth, but I think it gets the job done beautifully.
                Last edited by GodOfRhythm; 11-06-2007, 03:40 PM.
                You took too much, man. Too much. Too much.

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                  YES, dont know which ones they had 3 models IIRC.
                  I remember seeing him in an ad fro the Ref 6 in the bridge. The reason why I own one today. However, it isn't in a guitar of mine right now...

Comment

Believe it or not, I get a very good Kill Em All tone with my '63 SG Special, loaded with the original P90s. They have a clean spank to them for stuff like Seek n Destroy.

Comment

SH5. Best compromise between JB & Distortion. Nice clean, nice leads, nice pup. ^^

Comment

Originally posted by j2379 View Post
                        yeah and that album sounded like processed cheese. one of the worst metal guitar tones ever IMHO. they havent sounded good since master....
                        I HAVE to disagree on that. I LOVE the sound of the Guitars & Drums on Justice,But the lack of Bass is kinda sad
                        HIGHLY MODDED Peavey Ultra Plus 120
                        Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt Amp
                        (2)Vader 2x12 Cabs
                        Late 80's-early 90's Ibanez Tubescreamer
                        Boss TU-2
                        2005 Jackson SLSMG Soloist
                        1986 Black Cherry Charvel Model 4
                        1988 Blue Charvel Model 3DR

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                          I HAVE to disagree on that. I LOVE the sound of the Guitars & Drums on Justice,But the lack of Bass is kinda sad
                          Yeah, I'll second that. Justice guitars are great. One of my best friends learned to play metal bass with ...aJFA. It's a good "karaoke" album for bass.

I always considered the Metallica sound to be more a product of Hetfield's supreme riffing than anything else. (Too bad Mustaine was such a mess back then - that would have to be the best metal riffin' section. Alas I wasn't old enough to see Metallica until '87.) Having seen Metallica about 10 times on the Justice and Black tours, where the both Kirk and James used basically the same stuff, Metallica IS Hetfield. Kirk is a hack. Though he writes good melodies, the sloppy crap that comes from his side of the stage is pretty bad at times - especially at the beginning of a tour.

oh... yeah... EMGs ftw

Comment

Originally posted by ADR View Post
                            You might want to also pick up a Mesa Boogie MK 2B while your at it.
                            They used a Mark IIC+ not a B, on Puppets James slaved the Mark IIC+ through a Marshall
                            Last edited by themisfit138; 11-17-2007, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X