No announcement yet.

O.F.R best deal on one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, Nazgul. I'm gonna order one right now!
    Last edited by nsubulysses; 06-02-2008, 03:16 PM.

Comment

actually I have another quick question. I have a Soloist and online it says the nut is 1 11/16. On the Warmoth site it says you can buy a nut that is 1 11/16 wide or narrow. What does that mean?

Comment

The "wide" nut puts more space between the strings. But it also puts the E strings very close to the edge of the fretboard. I have a wide one on my KV2 and I keep pullin' the high E off the fretboard with my pinky. I'm thinking of switching to the narrow one.

My two cents!

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
          Equal quality.
          Nazgul, I thought the Schaller only had a hardened knife edge plate, while the rest of the bridge was cast metal, instead of the entire bridge being hardened like the OFR.

Yes? No?

Comment

Thank you. Just figured this out by giving Warmoth a call. unfortunately I tried to order it and they're out of stock

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
              Thank you. Just figured this out by giving Warmoth a call. unfortunately I tried to order it and they're out of stock
              Ed Roman has great prices and I believe they just received a shipment of them. I've been waiting for them to come in to put one a Model 2 mutt I'm building. www.edroman.com

Comment

Originally posted by nikopapp
                NEVER use Ed Roman, the guy is a snake and everyone who has dealt with him knows this.
                https://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/Flo...-Tremolos.html
                They have free shipping and are in stock.
                The OFR is made by Schaller BTW.
                I won't say Ed's easy to deal with, but I bought an incredible trans green flamed maple top KV2 from him and had another KV2 repainted in a tribal graphic through his shop. I've also bought other stuff from his site.

It's not all bad, but your point is well taken.

Comment

R3 nut narrow spacing
                  R4 nut wide spacing

Comment

Originally posted by Da' Melta' View Post
                    Nazgul, I thought the Schaller only had a hardened knife edge plate, while the rest of the bridge was cast metal, instead of the entire bridge being hardened like the OFR.

Yes? No?
                    This is true and why I prefer the OFR. Nothing wrong with the Schaller just my preference.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                      This is true and why I prefer the OFR. Nothing wrong with the Schaller just my preference.
                      +1 on the OFR, Slash. But as you said, it's a matter of choice.
                      All my experience is with the OFR and I don't have a single complaint about it.....even when it's time to adjust the intonation!

Comment

OFR tends to be brighter (to my ears) than a Schaller.
                        I take that into consideration when deciding which to put on a particular guitar.
                        So, wood/guitar type and pickups all come into play.
                        And I usually can't predict, but one will sound better/easier/bouncy, while the other will be flat, and resist.
                        That's been learned as a result of having plenty of both to swap around and play with over the years.
                        For what it's worth, of course...
                        Last edited by nhspike; 06-02-2008, 06:28 PM. Reason: added more confusion
                        "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                        --floydkramer

Comment

Originally posted by nhspike View Post
                          OFR tends to be brighter (to my ears) than a Schaller.
                          I take that into consideration when deciding which to put on a particular guitar.
                          So, wood/guitar type and pickups all come into play.
                          And I usually can't predict, but one will sound better/easier/bouncy, while the other will be flat, and resist.
                          That's been learned as a result of having plenty of both to swap around and play with over the years.
                          For what it's worth, of course...
                          I've heard others mention the same thing about the OFR being brighter, which makes sense if the OFR is all hardened (more resonant/less damped) than the Schaller which is probably less resonant because the cast metal surrounding the knife plate dampens the vibration going into the knife plate from the strings.

Sorry, I do noise and vibration testing for a living. Occupational habit!

Your points are right on about body/neck wood, pups all having an effect on the final tone/timbre of the instrument. That's we keep changing it up to get to our own sonic heaven!

Comment

Quick question, are the OFR's sold by Warmoth the German made OFR's? I can't tell.

Comment

FYI I tried to buy an OFR from Warmoth about 3 months ago and I called and they said they had been sold out for a very long time. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Comment

Guitarpartsdepot.com

I bought a floyd there for 180.00 last month, then they went on sale for 160.00. They're back to 180.00.

http://www.guitarpartsdepot.com/cart...p=21&child=620
                                "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Working...
                                X