No announcement yet.

EMG 81 or EMG 85 in the bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Les Paul is ALL mahogany, even the carved top. The 85 in the bridge doesn't sound too bassy at all.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
      So far I'm sold on the 85 in the bridge with an 18v setup.
      Originally posted by minh80 View Post
      Is the 18V setup hard to do? What is the difference in sound?
      I just did 18V mod to my guitar last weekend (85 in the bridge, 81 in the neck). The difference is subtle though...I think it has better harmonics now and it's a little louder. Noisier too :/.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        My Les Paul is ALL mahogany, even the carved top. The 85 in the bridge doesn't sound too bassy at all.
        hmm, maybe it was the fat 12's or the drop-C tuning or something... but the slsmg sounded like ass with the 85 in the bridge. The 81 was pretty decent sounding.
        Sam

Comment

Ah, the lower tuning and heavier strings most likely does have something to do with it. The 81 would sound better in that case. My LP only gets 10-46 and is tuned standard or Drop D.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'd have put this thread in a different category - one related to guitars... (like the tech section!) Each guitar will vary even if, say, they are booth mahogany. I'd get the quick connect ones and just swap them around. Personally though. I don't really like EMG's in anything.

Comment

I only really like EMG's for low tuned stuff and then it's an 81 all the way. Helps overcompensate for the natural "mud" that comes from a low tuned guitar...

I had a LP with the 85 in the bridge for a while. The 85 had more of a classic rock kinda sound to it. A bit wider. The 81 is a bit more tight and focused, if that makes any sense...
              I'm angry because you're stupid

Comment

I like EMG 89 then 85 and last 81.

Comment

This is a good thread topic. However few people have mentioned what kind of music/style of guitar they play. Plus people seem to choose their pick ups based on what kind of rig they play through. I haven't heard much mention of these factors.

Comment

Originally posted by Nazgul View Post
                    I just did 18V mod to my guitar last weekend (85 in the bridge, 81 in the neck). The difference is subtle though...I think it has better harmonics now and it's a little louder. Noisier too :/.
                    I was about to go do the 18v mod, but since you mentioned its very subtle, I don't think it would be worth it for me to do it. Thanks for the feedback on it!

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                      hmm, maybe it was the fat 12's or the drop-C tuning or something... but the slsmg sounded like ass with the 85 in the bridge. The 81 was pretty decent sounding.
                      That's weird that you mentioned that, because I had a Duncan JB put in an SLSMG..and it sounded so boomy and bassy, I sold the dang thing. I think because its an all mahogany neck thru..that could've resulted in the bassy resonance. However on other non=neck thru mahaghony guitars..it seems to sound pretty good, including my Gibson Les Paul even though its a set neck.

Comment

Working...
                      X