• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my kramer does is the double locking floyd 2

don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining
    http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/e...597cebb139.jpg

Comment

Do you have a closeup of the trem? Here's what a single locking FR II looks like:

http://www.audiozone.dk/tremolo/floydsinglelock01.jpg

Hollow tubes that the strings are fed through instead of locking screws & blocks.

Comment

If you mean a pic of the Floyd Rose Pro, here is a crappy shot of it in my RR3. I just got a better camera, I will update w/ better pics soon!

http://slackersforum.servebeer.com/p...son/RR3Mod.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Shwayman11 View Post
          nope it uses a different route- the specs for it are on the floydrose website
          Got it, thanks!
          GM,
          www.aftershok.com

Comment

Actually, both are cast. The one commonly called an OFR is just made to look polished. The knife edges are the only part that's hardened.

Also, both the OFR and the FRII are made by Schaller. IMO they are both just as good.

Not tryin to be a know-it-all. But that's what Floyd said in an interview

Bob

Originally posted by dg View Post
            The Floyd II is basically identical to the Schaller Floyd, and it's a good trem. The only exception would be if it's one of the very early ones that were single-locking. You don't see many of those. The biggest difference between a Floyd II and an Original Floyd is that the II has a cast metal baseplate with hardened inserts for the knife edges, rather than being made entirely of hardened steel.

Comment

Unlike cheaper trems, with the OFR I haven't had the problem of the knife edges going blunt (I don't use the trem like Mr Vai, lol) but with the Schaller/FR II version with the inserts, you can replace them and the knife edges are like new again.

Comment

Someone change the OFR of my Kramer Stagemaster Custom before I got it to a FR II... Can I change them? one of the post that go in the body seem to be push in like if the FR II has smaller post spacing than the OFR, is this true?
                '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                custom made Les Paul
                VOX Tonelab LE
                Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                ADA MP1
                BBE 422A
                Lexicon MPX-G2
                ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                Support Your Local 81

Comment

Originally posted by shredhed View Post
                  Actually, both are cast. The one commonly called an OFR is just made to look polished. The knife edges are the only part that's hardened.

Also, both the OFR and the FRII are made by Schaller. IMO they are both just as good.

Not tryin to be a know-it-all. But that's what Floyd said in an interview

Bob

You're right. The OFR is cast steel, but the FR II & Schaller trem baseplates are made of a softer cast metal with a lower melting point, so they can be made in re-useable steel molds to save on production costs. Here's more info from Henrik's trem page:

"Regarding the Floyd Rose variants: The base plate of the Schaller FRII wasn't containing threaded inserts in the early years. It is not made of iron or a poor grade steel... it's made of zinc.
                  Due to the low melting temperature, zinc can be cast at temperatures below 500 degress celsius. In other words: casting zinc is possible in molds made of steel and this is much cheaper than casting steel in baked sand molds (at ~1100 degrees of celsius), which can't be reused!
                  In fact, Schaller uses the inferior zinc on the delicate base plate and the costlier brass for the simple spring bar!"

Comments kindly supplied by Axel Rohde

Comment

Cool! Thanks for sharin that. That's some more stuff I didn't know about FRs.

So the different metal is why it has a different tone, ya think?

I'm actually looking for a decent Schaller logo'd one. I have like 6 of the regular ones and would love to put one on my model 3a.

Originally posted by dg View Post
                    You're right. The OFR is cast steel, but the FR II & Schaller trem baseplates are made of a softer cast metal with a lower melting point, so they can be made in re-useable steel molds to save on production costs. Here's more info from Henrik's trem page:

"Regarding the Floyd Rose variants: The base plate of the Schaller FRII wasn't containing threaded inserts in the early years. It is not made of iron or a poor grade steel... it's made of zinc.
                    Due to the low melting temperature, zinc can be cast at temperatures below 500 degress celsius. In other words: casting zinc is possible in molds made of steel and this is much cheaper than casting steel in baked sand molds (at ~1100 degrees of celsius), which can't be reused!
                    In fact, Schaller uses the inferior zinc on the delicate base plate and the costlier brass for the simple spring bar!"

Comments kindly supplied by Axel Rohde

Comment

Working...
                    X