No announcement yet.

How much is normal fret wear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NO I'm not the seller. I just think that whining about $200 guitar not being perfect when bought sight unseen is dumb, it was your choice to buy or pass on it. Guitars that get used ( and not just in ones bedroom ) get worn fret. The frets aren't anyway near the point to replace them so get it dressed. R6 I wasn't really looking at the inlays just the frets.

Comment

Man, I don't know if fret dressing will cure the problem. Some frets are worn too low IMHO. If it were me I would have to do an entire refret, level, crown and polish.
      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
        I just think that whining about $200 guitar not being perfect when bought sight unseen is dumb, it was your choice to buy or pass on it.
        The seller also said it had "normal" fret wear. To me, that doesn't look too normal for a newer guitar. I'd be a little pissed, too.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm knee deep in learning fretwork at the moment, and after doing two levels and recrowns I'd say refret this thing. My second dr3 turned out great, but my heartfield had a couple of frets as bad as those, and after leveling them all down that far theres simply not enough fret for my liking! It doesnt play or sound as good imo without a nice chunk of nickel/brass.

And alot of people dont even realise their fretwear. For some people its not an issue. As soon as I got my jsx the buzzing from the flat crowns pissed me off though for robbing tone and well, here I am!

Comment

Originally posted by bibz View Post
            I'm knee deep in learning fretwork at the moment, and after doing two levels and recrowns I'd say refret this thing. My second dr3 turned out great, but my heartfield had a couple of frets as bad as those, and after leveling them all down that far theres simply not enough fret for my liking! It doesnt play or sound as good imo without a nice chunk of nickel/brass.

And alot of people dont even realise their fretwear. For some people its not an issue. As soon as I got my jsx the buzzing from the flat crowns pissed me off though for robbing tone and well, here I am!
            Excellent call, bz, you haven't far to go to do the work. What people may not understand is that the rest of the frets would have to be brought down to nearly that same low level, then recrowned to match. After that, it gets softer, as frets tend to "work harden", and the remaining life gets shorter with each dressing. That's why I said, I might be able to bring them in, but it would only be a couple of years before they are shot again. Time for a refret.

Comment

A refret will run $125.00 or so if you like the guitar go for it.There are plenty of those necks on ebay.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Even on the Ibanez 350DX on which I could literally watch the frets wearing out in front of my own eyes with every bend, it wasn't as bad as the ones in the pics after more than a year's use. You have every right to be angry!
                Sam

Comment

One of the guys at the shop I take it to said it should be fine are a fret dress. I bought this for a buddy who has helped me out. ( he won't take money). It will be his #2 so it should last a while.
                  This is what pissed me off the most . the seller was asked about the frets twice.
                  Question & AnswerAnswered OnQ: how much fret wear on the frets? can u give more detail pics?Oct-13-07A: There is no problem with the frets,no grooves in them,this guitar pulls off chords,hammer ons,speed licks,etc without any buzzing or problem that I've noticed.It is a used guitar so there is normal wear on the frets but they are not damaged or worn out.Q: Hi. How bad is the finish? Are the frets real worn? Really interested, great price which is why I'm thinking somethings wrong. Let me know ...Oct-12-07A: you can't see the finish damage from any distance,you have to be right up on it to see the scratches I'm selling this for my guitar player who lost his job,hence the really good price to make sure it sells quickly.I've played and I don't notice any major fret damage and neck seems straight,it is a thin fast playing necks strings are old and need to be changed though.

Comment

The seller misrepresented the guitar IMO. I wouldn't bother with a re-fret yet though. A level and crown should do the trick.
                    Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Originally posted by zeegler View Post
                      The seller misrepresented the guitar IMO. I wouldn't bother with a re-fret yet though. A level and crown should do the trick.
                      But then the frets would no longer be X-Jumbo or Jumbo or whatever it was to begin with! Right?
                      Sam

Comment

Every time you do fret work it takes a little meat off the frets.They will still be just as wide just not as tall.IMO just level and recrown and it should be fine.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
                          But then the frets would no longer be X-Jumbo or Jumbo or whatever it was to begin with! Right?
                          Correct. I suppose if you can't live with shorter frets, then you would need to have a refret done. You should have seen my Peavey Destiny that I bought off Ebay. The frets were almost down to the board in places. I mean less than a millimetre high! I had it refretted with jumbos. It should last me forever. I have a very light touch, and hardly wear my frets at all.
                          Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

If that seller thought that the frets were fine, IMO he has no idea what a fret is and where it is on a guitar. If that is his definition of 'no grooves in them', I sure would hate to see the POS he must play...lol :ROTF:

Comment

Working...
                            X