No announcement yet.

Floyd buzz near the saddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same problem with an OFR that I got from carvin, it turned out to be the saddle.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

I'm thinking I'm gonna swap the saddle. Is it just as simple as it seems, remove the intonation screw and slide it off? I can't find any how to's online. Thanks

Comment

Yes, loosen the intonation screw and remove it. I said to swap it with the high E because that's the same height as the low E. Floyds use three different saddle heights to accomodate a rounder fingerboard radius, so the Es are the lowest, the B and A are higher and the G and D are the highest. Though, people sometimes shim them on guitars with flatter fingerboards like Jacksons.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by atarilovesyou View Post
          Again, it's only when the guitar string is played OPEN do I get the buzz. Fretted, nothing...
          I had that problem also with a different guitar. Like mine, your string might be vibrating on the first fret. Maybe it's a slight bit higher than the 2nd, 3rd, etc. I also noticed that it only buzzed on open notes. Fretting that string stopped the buzz. What I did was use one of those shims made for the floyd nuts. I had a couple lying around and I used the thinnist one I had. I put it underneath the nut to raise the strings just a bit, but not enough to really feel a difference. That stopped the buzz, it raised the string just enough that it didn't vibrate off the first fret. I haven't had a problem with it since!

Hope this helps!
          Guitars:
          Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
          1988 Model 2,
          Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
          RR3
          Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
          1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
          2005 SG Special

Comment

...well, into the shop it went today (for the second time, sob)...they were kinda baffled, but had seen some Strats with the same issue.

They're going to tinker with it, and they also thought perhaps it's a fret issue. I'd rather they shim the nut rather than tinker with the frets...if only because the guitar didn't have this 'buzz' when I first got it, and I wasn't happy with the last fret levelling on another guitar...thing still buzzed afterwards.

I'll find out next week what's up...they're saying it's probably not the saddle as there's nothing to vibrate in there...I have to agree but that's where the sound seems to come from. I hope it's a cheap fix!...damn guitar rips in every way!!

Comment

Well, two techs and a month later and I have my black SL2H back in my hands...the strange buzzy sound on the low E is gone but overall, there's a lil buzz in the neck but I can handle it. She's in E flat and RIPS....what a great sound.

Now to send off my red SL2H to get it replaced/repaired for the improperly routed Floyd cavity.

Here's the thing...the licensed Fender dealer here is giving me a bit of a headache regarding the whole treatment of the warranty claim. So I decided to perhaps email Jackson to see what to do, or what my rights are according to the warranty.

Thing is, there's NO way to contact Jackson via email or phone, from what I can see ....on their website OR the warranty card. Basically I want to send them the pics of the guitar to see their official take on what needs to be done. I'm sure they'll make things right, but I'm not really excited to deal with my local Fender shop. Like I mentioned before...ONE MONTH to get this buzzy string thing figured out. Not a big motivation!!

Any ideas on how to get a hold of the company? Thanks!

Comment

What did the tech say was wrong?

I had that happen on a brand new Ofr and it turned out the saddle was flawed

Comment

Nope, the way their shop works is that I've never even met the guy who worked on my guitar. I have no clue what he did, which kinda sucks. The 'strange' saddle buzz is gone, replaced with plain old 'regular' string buzz...which I'm sure I can get worked out at a later time. The previous buzzing though was enough to drive me insane.

Any suggestions on how to contact Jackson directly for some advice on how to proceed with my warranty return on my other guitar?

Comment

I got a weird buzzing on my Mark Morton model yesterday. It sounded like it was coming from the TOM bridge, I thought maybe a saddle was loose, but I discovered it was actually one of the height adjustment screws from the neck pickup that was causing the buzzing. When I touched the screw, the buzz went away, so I just gave it a tiny turn and problem solved. Strange.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X