No announcement yet.

Pickup covers attached?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's been a few Jackson Custom Shop's with pickup covers over the years. I think the guitar will just look "Classic" and not ghey.
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
      They need to be on an LP or 335 style axe.
      Haha, ok, but what about the MIJ Jackson Firebird? That's what I play.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
        Haha, ok, but what about the MIJ Jackson Firebird? That's what I play.
        That would look cool IMO! What color is the hardware?
        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

It's a mint green guitar with chrome hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
            Covers won't do anything for your "tone".
            NOT true at all. Metal pickup covers(magnetic ones anyways) shield your pickups from outside noise by creating a Faraday cage. They will also take a bit of high end out of your signal, giving you a "warmer" tone. In order to do this they MUST be SOLDERED to the pickup, usually the baseplate. Using any sort of silicon to isolate the cover from the pickup will negate the effect of the Faraday cage and your pickup cover will be purely cosmetic.

Comment

Plastic covers do have a slight tonal effect. I've always gotten a slightly "boxey" tone with them. Sort of a midrange honk/quack tone with a brittle high-end, but not as high-endy as a bare pickup.

Check out Iommi's tone on Wheels Of Confusion for the tonal characteristics I've always heard from metal-covered pickups.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                NOT true at all. Metal pickup covers(magnetic ones anyways) shield your pickups from outside noise by creating a Faraday cage. They will also take a bit of high end out of your signal, giving you a "warmer" tone. In order to do this they MUST be SOLDERED to the pickup, usually the baseplate. Using any sort of silicon to isolate the cover from the pickup will negate the effect of the Faraday cage and your pickup cover will be purely cosmetic.
                I mention sealant merely as a way to aid in squeel-prevention. I still advocate soldering it to the pickup, like you said.
                I'm not Ron!

Comment

Working...
                X