duncan distortion VS DiMarzio ToneZone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Holy Diver View Post
    Can the Super Distortion get a metal sound like Ratt or Dokken or something from the 80s, or would the Duncan Distortion be a better choice?
    There is no "secret formula" to getting an 80's tone- or any other for that matter. It's a complicated interaction of the guitar, pickup, amp and sometimes effects.

But, the Duncan Distortion is a really strong all-around rock/metal pickup, and it was used by many back in the 80's- Lynch and Rhoads (in some guitars) come to mind. The Super Distortion probably falls into the same category, but I am biased because I prefer Duncans.
    GM,
    www.aftershok.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
      hell, pretty much all I play is Dokken and Ratt! jk...

when it comes to Dio it is either Holy Diver or Lock Up The Wolves, I LOVE LUTW, but lots of people hate it, why? I do not know...
      I'm a big fan of Lock Up The Wolves myself- an underrated album, and Rowan Robertson rocked! Not to throw a wrench into the discussion, but he used EMGs on that one! Tone is a complicated thing!
      GM,
      www.aftershok.com

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Metal View Post
        IMHO Tone Zone has a lot more bass and midbass than JB does.
        Yes, the JB has more treble and high mids. The Tone Zone has more lows and low mids. IMO, the JB sucks, the Tone Zone kicks ass!

I'm also a big fan of the DiMarzio Super Distortion. I've never owned a Duncan Distortion, though.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Sorry to revive an old thread but I'm also a fan of the ToneZone and I wonder if there is a similar PU in Duncan's catalog?
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

I have JB's, Duncan Distortions, Dimarzio Super Distortions, Duncan Screamin Demons, and EMG's in many guitars. Lately I've been a fan of the Tone Zone in the bridge with Air Norton in the neck. Any of those pickups work just fine for 80's rock, thats what my band does 80's hard rock covers. For some reason the Tone Zone has been winning me over lately.
            Rudy
            www.metalinc.net

Comment

How do you think would sound a ToneZone in a all mahogany + maple top?
              JB aka BenoA

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                How do you think would sound a ToneZone in a all mahogany + maple top?
                I don't have one in a Mahogany body. My Tone Zone's are in Alder bodied Soloists and in Rhoads'. I wouldn't be afraid to try one in a Mahogany body though.
                Rudy
                www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
                  I wouldn't be afraid to try one in a Mahogany body though.
                  I'm sold! Thanks!
                  JB aka BenoA

Comment

Originally posted by BenoA View Post
                    I'm sold! Thanks!
                    You're welcome. I will be putting in more Tone Zone's in my axes in the future
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

I'm a big fan of the Tone Zone as well. I put one in an old poplar Dinky and in my alder Charvel Star. A lot of people on the Duncan Forum think the TZ is very loose sounding and muddy, but I don't find that to be the case.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+1 DiMarzio Tone Zone

I'd like to add that i've always been a SD guy,besides the DM's in my YJM Strat I have all Duncans.Betweem me and a friend we have tried just about every Pup out there.
                        So because my friend just got a JB and didn't like it,he sent it back got the distortion. I didn't want to copy so he suggested a "TZ" for a change.
                        Well I installed it in an bone stock Rev Dinky Professional in the Bridge, and made my Jackson sound 10X better. What I like most that it has this spongy. .almost "wah" type of midrange which I really enjoy. (vs. like my SD TB-14 in my Charvel has "scooped mids")
                        Has lots of Bass and midrange,not too bright either. So for 80's stuff, its dead on, especially bending some higher notes (it's got the tone) your looking for.
                        I will admit,it doesn't clean up like the SD's when you roll off the volume knob,but that is not an issue for me I love Hi-Gain. I'm using a "Recto" model on my Vox AD30VT "XL" w/Tone Zone and some delay and its smooth. My friend will admit that the TZ is smoother,hard to explain. . not as harsh "open sounding".He liked it,now he has one
                        Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

ADR you are dead on...

Originally posted by ADR View Post
                          I will admit,it doesn't clean up like the SD's when you roll off the volume knob,but that is not an issue for me I love Hi-Gain.
                          I did noticed it since I dropped a ToneZone into my cheapo Jackson JS30 Kelly, (I'm like ya, I don't care) and it has made that guitar sound 10x better.

I will definitely try it into my Godin LG Signature.

Any good place to get those PU online? I want a chrome cover ToneZone!
                          JB aka BenoA

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                            I'm a big fan of the Tone Zone as well. I put one in an old poplar Dinky and in my alder Charvel Star. A lot of people on the Duncan Forum think the TZ is very loose sounding and muddy, but I don't find that to be the case.
                            The only time I thought the Tone Zone in my Purpleburst SL2H sounded too bassy and muddy was through my Line 6 noodling amp. Through the big stuff like my Uberschall, Randall RM100, and Dual Recto it sounds killer! I have lots of Duncans too but lately the Tone Zone has impressed me quite a bit. I yanked a Duncan Screamin Demon out of my all over pile o skulls Rhoads and replaced it with the TZ. And I'm a big fan of the Demon. The TZ just sounded way better in this particular axe.
                            Rudy
                            www.metalinc.net

Comment

My .02

I forgot to add that I my 1st reaction is "I want one for the neck",so I just happen to find a used "Air Norton" neck Pup for the same guitar.
                              I was able to A/B my : Basswood Jackson Dinky Pro 92 w/Schaller vs. Ibanhad Rg-517 ? Its got a killer blue sparkle paint job,Basswood,wizard neck Edge 2 etc. same 24 frets alike,both Basswood w/maple necks,both have a Trem (Schaller FR - Edge 2)
                              Both guitars were tuned to A=440, have#9 EB slinkys.His guitar has a Duncan Custom vs. DiMarzio Tone Zone. Amp is a "Marshall TSL-60" running a 4X12 cab vintage 30's.
                              We both agreed the TZ was smoother,bit more midrange and more presence,not bright at all.They are both loud and very close( I like the attack and the Pup reacts to soft/hard picking. .cool) By themself they both sound great ,but side by side I prefer the TZ.
                              The Duncan beat it out in the rolling off the volume test.I do like the finish on the SD's better (glossy) the TZ is a duller type of finish (look) that's about it.
                              You may want to try both with your set up,besides it's your ear and your tone that matters the most. Hope this has been helpful.
                              Go to DiMarzio's site and find "TZ" and there are sound samples,listen to the sample with the TZ in a Jackson soloist,then you'll know what I mean about the midrangey thingy.
                              Henrik Danhage Sig Heavy Relic

Comment

Working...
                              X