Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Strings

webstrings.com and the bulk strings from juststrings.com are both great. High quality strings for really, really cheap.

When I don't feel like bothering to order sttrings off the web, I usually get GHS boomers. Or, a bunch of whatever the store has a deal on (buy-one-get-one-frees, etc.).

I usually change strings once every two weeks.

Comment

I do the exact same thing as NOTP, ie; wash my hands before I play, keep my fingers off my face, out of my hair, etc when playing, basically like he said, don't touch anything. Even if I have a swig of something between songs, I wipe my hands on a clean towel real quick before continuing.
      My strings last...well, I play my Charvel almost every day and I last re-strung it two months ago. Now granted if I was playing live I would change every four or five shows, depending on how sweaty the stage was.
      I never have corrosion problems. Ever.
      I use D'Addario XL125's.
      I was using the webstrings for a year or so, and they were equally great, but found I just didn't need that quantity of strings around!

My singer in Article 13, Mark of stripped Gunslinger fame, can kill a set of strings in ten minutes. He washes before he plays too, but there is just something about the acids in his skin...it's amazing. I never used to like him to play my guitars, cause I'd have to de-gunk it before I could play it again! I'm serious! There's not a set of strrings out there that can stand up to him!

Comment

I concur with Dreamland_Rebel: DR Strings "tite-fit" are the best. http://www.drstrings.com/ I've been using them for 10 years (when they 1st came out) and swear by them. (was using GHS Boomers before that). They are very consistent, don't break easily and last a long time. I've got a lot of guitars, and it takes a while to rotate them all into gigs. In some cases I haven't played a particular guitar in a year or so, yet the strings are still fresh and shiny, still stay in tune, and still have tone after sitting that long.

Comment

I'm lucky enough now to be able to get strings for really cheap since I sell them, so I think I'll try a few different kinds out over the next couple months. I often ask customers the same thing I asked you guys and they all give me different answers- "DRs wear out too fast" "Ernie Balls last forever, man!" "I've been playing D'Addarios for 20 years" etc. I used to use Dean Markley, before that I used D'Addario, and now I use D'Addario again, and have been for years. I tried some Ernie Balls once and 4 of them broke on me within a few days. I think I am gonna start with DR strings, but thicker than 9-46...maybe a regular 11 gauge set.

Comment

Originally posted by etaeniura:
            Sometime in the near future I will try the ELixir electric strings.
            <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">When I got my first Carvin, those strings were on it. They were pretty bright sounding and seemed to last pretty long, but they felt a little weird with that special coating. I think it was the kind with the nano web coating instead of the poly coating. I think the poly might be a little thicker with coating, but I can't remember offhand.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
            X