No announcement yet.

1 vol vs. 1 vol and tone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

John Sykes is a bad mother whatever he uses.
    "Hard work is for people short on talent." -George Carlin

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
      Do you even use the tone pot? If it's alway on 10 than you don't need it so go with just a volume.
      Well, tone pot is useful when used with neck p/u for getting more "hollow" lead tone or to get "jazzy" clean. It's very easy to rewire the guitars to make tone pot affecting only neck PU. That's what I do with Rhoads changing MV-T-T scheme to V-V-NT
      Because I don't say it
      Doesn't mean I ain't thinking it

Comment

i've got an RS guitarworks Superpot on the vol. its ratted at about 570K. i put a cheap tone pot on it with a .022 ceramic cap. and it sounds way better now. but i was just asking what i could do to eliminate the tone knob flopping around in the guitar and wanted to know what jackson or charvel is doing with their 1 hum configuration in guitars like the Warren DeMartini.
        Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

One cool thing to do is solder loose leads on all the pins of each component, so you can twist the wires together while playing and try out all possibilities until you find what you like best. Then when you get the ideal setup for that guitar, just remember it and solder it in place (and put the cover plate back)
          "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
          The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
            but i was just asking what i could do to eliminate the tone knob flopping around in the guitar and wanted to know what jackson or charvel is doing with their 1 hum configuration in guitars like the Warren DeMartini.
            Replace the tone pot with a 500k resistor and connect the other end to ground. Should look like this:

Vol pot -> cap -> resistor -> ground

I have no idea how JCMI does it on the DiMartinis though. My guess is that they just eliminate the tone circuit completely.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
              My guess is that they just eliminate the tone circuit completely.
              +1 That's what's on my 1 Hum guitars. No tone circuit.
              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                did you do that yourself or did it come that way? and is this the DeMartini that you are talking about?
                Last edited by Dreamland_Rebel; 09-13-2007, 11:07 PM.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

did you do that yourself or did it come that way? and is this the DeMartini that you are talking about?
                  No, it's not the DiMartini, but I have taken a lot of old 1 Hum guitars apart including Charvel's. I've also built quite a few 1 Hum guitars from the ground up. Here's a schematic with 1 Hum and a Volume Control. http://www.guitarelectronics.com/product/WDUH0101

I mentioned John Sykes. According to Gibson's site the tone circuit is disconected on the bridge Pup. Most likely he wanted to keep the stock appearance of the Les Paul with the knob. I just recently did this on one of my Les Pauls for the heck of it. It does sound different even though my treble used to be all the way up. (resistance low). I've read comments, including Sykes that with the tone circuit disconnected the high notes seem cleaner. Sounds pretty accurate, although barely audible.
                  Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
                    My Charvel Star came with just a volume control and no tone circuit.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X