Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intonation of the lowest strings

Originally posted by Ace:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Immortal:
    Oh, yes, just one more question. While I was tightening my truss rod, I couldn't move it without enough strenght. The point is, I want to make sure, that I didn't tight above the limits.

If the tross rod is tightened to much, what happens then?

I could tighten mine more, but as I said, it didn't rotate very smoothly and I have to use additional strenght and the truss rod made some noise while I was screwing it (like when you screw the screw into the wood for first time). It wasn't wood cracking. I would recognize that.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Stop tightening it. You will strip it out, and they are VERY expensive to fix. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I was thinking about loosening ti for 1/4 step, just to get away from the risky point.
    Will 1/4 step be visually and playably noticeable?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuckracer:
      E: Seventh fret
      A: Ninth "
      D: Tenth "
      G: Seventh fret
      B: Twelveth "
      E: Twelveth "
      <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'm going to try this out. I have never used this model but it sounds like a clever, experienced idea. Thanks Chuckracer!

I would say that going for higher string height will affect intonation in a bad way, in theory. The longer distance the string has to travel when you fret it, the more you increase its pitch = bad intonation. I hope this is not too much nonsense [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

/Henrik
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Is it possible that a very high action might be contributing to your intonation problems? Perhaps you might try adjusting down to a lower action and see if the intonation is any better.
        Takeoffs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Comment

I had that problem with my strat, my high e and low e ran out of adjustment and I had to clip the springs and my high e and make sure the rest of my setup was good. My intonation was never right so I decided to change strings and wah lah. Everything went back to the way I thought it should.

Now, if you cant get your truss rod to come straight enough you can try this. Loosen all the strings on the guitar and if you can loosen the truss rod nut all the way out, do that and lubricate it with vasaline or something. If it's a truss rod where the nut wont come out then don't worry about it, but still loosen it though. Then place the guitar on a padded table, on it's back side and have someone hold the body down. Then push the headstock towards the floor to get it in a backbow position but don't push so hard that you break the neck! Then while you are pushing down on the headstock, start tightening up the truss rod. You are helping the truss rod do it's job since it can only do so much on it's own. Then string her up and adjust from there.

Comment

The strings I use are sort of a must have for me. I have one desired brand and I never change it. I have expiremented with strings, but I always returned to Blue Steel.
            Does the string gauge affect the intonation so much? I have my guitar tuned in D and I use AT LEAST 11-52 gauges, also these are almost too soft for me and my action is very high.

Okay, what you are telling me is that my forward bow is too big? Hm, I am sceptic about taking the truss rod out, you know. I am afraid to fuck something up.

Comment

Working...
            X