Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top E closer to edge of fret than it should be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KMud View Post
    I have this problem with my soloist, so I can't merely take the neck off...the side of the nut is flush with the neck on the high e side, and has a 3/64" length between the low E side of the nut and the neck. The nut screws in from the front, and I assume it would either require bastardising the nut (turn the holes into slots) or fucking with the neck, neither option of which really appeals to me!
    You need to plug the current holes with some hard wood dowels and glue. Then make the dowels flush. Place the neck where you want it and mark the holes with a #30 drill bit.

Here is an example.
    http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~ihsahn/guitar/neckPlug.html
    Last edited by JetFixxxer; 09-04-2007, 12:06 PM.
    2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
    2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
    2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
    2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
    2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
    2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
    2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
    2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
    2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
    1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
    1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

Originally posted by JetFixxxer View Post
      You need to plug the current holes with some hard wood dowels and glue. Then make the dowels flush. Place the neck where you want it and mark the holes with a #30 drill bit.

It's a soloist SL1, so it's a thru-neck...I assume you meant 'nut' not 'neck' (or meant to quote the guy whose thread I'm hijacking :ROTF. I'll probably get my handy dandy local luthier to give it a look then, as I don't want to wreck my guitar

Comment

It's a soloist SL1, so it's a thru-neck...I assume you meant 'nut' not 'neck' (or meant to quote the guy whose thread I'm hijacking :ROTF. I'll probably get my handy dandy local luthier to give it a look then, as I don't want to wreck my guitar
        Sorry I'm a Jackson n00b.....
        2009 Les Paul Kit - GFS Dream 90 (N), SD Seth Lover (B)
        2009 Gibson Les Paul Worn Brown
        2009 Epiphone Studio Deluxe
        2008 Epiphone Custom - SD P-Rail(N), Fat Pat (B)
        2008 Ovation Celebrity CC48
        2007 Agile AL3000 - SD Alinco II set
        2005 Epiphone Standard - SD Pearly Gate (N),SD Alinco II (B)
        2004 Epiphone Custom Plus Top
        2004 Gibson SG Faded - Stock
        1997 Epiphone Slash Snakepit
        1995 Fender Strat - SD Lil 59' Bridge, SD Hotrail Middle, Stock Neck

Comment

So'm I, but I'm learning pretty quickly from this forum (*creep* *creep*).

Comment

I have this problem with my soloist, so I can't merely take the neck off...the side of the nut is flush with the neck on the high e side, and has a 3/64" length between the low E side of the nut and the neck. The nut screws in from the front, and I assume it would either require bastardising the nut (turn the holes into slots) or fucking with the neck, neither option of which really appeals to me!
            First, try loosening the nut and try shifting it to the one side as you tighten it back up.
            Sorta the same principal and shifting a neck back into place (or realigning).

If that doesn't work, oval both holes slightly to allow more room to shift.
            Then again, shift the nut to that one side as you tighten it back up.

Comment

Originally posted by Model1VH2 View Post
              First, try loosening the nut and try shifting it to the one side as you tighten it back up.
              Sorta the same principal and shifting a neck back into place (or realigning).

If that doesn't work, oval both holes slightly to allow more room to shift.
              Then again, shift the nut to that one side as you tighten it back up.
              Was along the lines of what I was thinking, but confirmation is nice. I'll give this a go tomorrow, I should be changing the pickups anyhow (as long as postie is kind). Ta!

Comment

With a bolt-on neck, as mentioned above, just unscrew it and screw it back straight. For a neck-through or set-neck, the only option i see for fixing this would be to move the holes for the bridge just a bit sideways. One way to do it for a floyd type bridge is to patch the 2 holes with fiberglass and redo them at the correct spots. Tune-o-matics and other hardtails should be less hassle.

Personally i think it makes sense for the high E string to have a bit more "fret length" than the low E, because normally your wrist/forearm is under the fretboard and not over it. So when you play, you tend to pull the strings downwards more than upwards. Plus, when you pull the high E string off the fretboard (excessive bends or vibrato) it can get stuck under the frets, which is annoying.
                "It wasn't the world being round that agitated people, but that the world wasn't flat. [ ... ]
                The truth will seem utterly preposterous, and its speaker, a raving lunatic."

Comment

Working...
                X